Author Topic: Come join the F1 megaverse!  (Read 66359 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Come join the F1 megaverse!
« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2013, 03:48:02 PM »
Internet mode adds a (hidden inbound) and outbound teleporter to your simulation. You can set it up so you have a bunch of different setting environments (all under a different instance of DB) all share robots between them. We where trying to allow the instances of DB not only run on a local computer but be shared trough FTP, this lets anyone on any computer share the robots. That did not work very well due to how FTP works. The new idea will be to use a p2p algo. similar to the way torrents work. The problem is a p2p program is extremely painful to program.

Offline SlyStalker

• Bot Destroyer
  • nomnomnomnom
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2013, 12:56:54 AM »
so is there a F1 IM world permanently going or do I have to syncronise it with other people? also, how do you set IM up?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 30, 2014, 02:59:11 PM »
Ahh, I'll soon throw aggressive dwarfs at ya (if my computer can handle the already enterred bots...that is.)

It should kill everyone here because the arena sounds quite crowded, which it likes.
Autism can allow so much joy, and at the same time sadness to be seen. Our world is weird, and full of contradiction everywhere, yet somehow at moments seems to come together, and make near perfect sense.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 30, 2014, 09:37:07 PM »
Peter setup a version of IM, it is actually cleaner then my p2p idea. Although, probably Ammehs IM is still being managed by the AI haters.  :D

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 29, 2016, 07:44:12 PM »
Numsgil:

The server for IM is the same one that runs the forum, so there shouldn't be a problem there.  Basically the issue is on the client side-- the Visual Basic 6 FTP controls are really really bugged.

If the error you get is that it can't disconnect, try letting it run for a bit anyway and see if you don't get a few bots going to and from.

Moonfisher:
Having the same problem with DB 2.43.1L, crashes when I try to connect to IM. Didn't use to have any problems as far as I recall... probably need to delete some corrupt file or something...
But last I checked I couldn't find anyone on IM for a while, so haven't been in a rush to figure out whats wrong.

I think Moonfisher here has some credibility because he wrote some really good bots. And he clearly says that a problem did NOT happen before as far as he can recall. So Numsgil, I think there is more going on here other than COM controls being buggy. Explain to me why I am wrong here?. And yes, I know it is repetitive... but your 100% certainty I was imagining things is looking more like 60% at this point.

I am not writing about stuff like this to piss you off Numsgil. I am not looking really hard for someone to blame for this. Because that is worse than playing poker against professionals. I am just stating the facts and backing up my story of what happened in my case.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 10:31:22 PM by Botsareus »