Author Topic: Mutation Sims  (Read 35455 times)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Mutation Sims
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2006, 05:44:08 PM »
How do I set up a teleporter between 2 instances of DB on my machine? Do I select inbound and just set the same path to a folder in both? For instance: P:\PROGRAM\Artificial\DarwinBotsII\Transfers
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Mutation Sims
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2006, 06:48:15 PM »
1) Create two file system directories somewhere.  As an example, I'll use c:\foo and c:\foo2.
2) Start DB and set up your sim.
3) Create an inbound teleporter.  Give it the path c:\foo.
4) Create an outbound teleporter.  Give it the path c:\foo2.
5) Save the sim.
6) Start a second instance of DB and load the sim you just saved.  Now you have two instances, but they are both writing to the same place (c:\foo2) and reading from the same place (c:\foo).
7) Reverse the paths for the two telepoters in the second instance.  Now one reads from where the other writes and vice versa.

Thats it.  You should now have two cooperating instances of DB.  The first instance will write bots out to c:\foo2 and read them in from c:\foo.  The second will write bots out to c:\foo and read them in from c:\foo2.
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Mutation Sims
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2006, 07:02:32 PM »
I did it like this. I don't know if that's what you mean.

The teleporters at the bottom goes to folder A and the teleporters at the top goes to folder B.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Mutation Sims
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2006, 07:13:48 PM »
That should do it.  You should see bots dissappear at the red ones and reappear at the green ones.  Changing the size of the outbound teleporters will impact the teleportation rate since the size dictates the area from which to suck up bots....

Let me know what you think and whether you think the aggregate perf is better than a single sim.
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Mutation Sims
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2006, 07:42:26 PM »
Is there a way you could abstract this process for users who aren't as computer savvy?

For instance, maybe a metaprogram that calls up instances of DB.  It would let you graphically drag, drop, and connect various instances with each other so you could orchistrate various topologies quickly and intuitively.

Would be even better to have it be able to coordinate sims across different computers (over the network) but I'm not sure how easy this would be.

I could probably work on something like this as a temporary distraction...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 07:43:35 PM by Numsgil »

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Mutation Sims
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2014, 03:08:08 PM »
Mhm, could you give links to those bots you start with, I quite like carnivorous ivy, you might want to try it out, it always forms vertically....makes the screen look quite unusual really...plus some really long ones appear you can throw different species at either end, and it be like a fuse :D

Heh, also if you want better mutation, throw about 1k 0's randomly throughout a bots code, I do this always before evo-sims (and most sims actually) it then quickly accumulates around 3000 mutations, giving you a good variety...thats on a x1 mutation sim...w/ delta mutation which gets me results :D
Autism can allow so much joy, and at the same time sadness to be seen. Our world is weird, and full of contradiction everywhere, yet somehow at moments seems to come together, and make near perfect sense.