Author Topic: DarwinBot Awards  (Read 7764 times)

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
DarwinBot Awards
« on: May 08, 2008, 03:31:58 AM »
I thought about nominations for DarwinBot Awards. A bot elegible for a "DarwinBot Award" must show a basic form of the original Darwin Award golden rule, eg. it must remove itself from the gene pool in the most stupid fashion possible. This either means being unable to reproduce or to die. Contenders would be things such as bots who themselves are the only ones really affected by their virus, using veggies to channel power shots only to die themselves etc. This could be a fun idea. If you want to post your contender (please only post really good ones eg. not only push 50 .repro store every cycle), post it in the form of Simulation, .txt file or image, whatever reflects the behaviour the best.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 03:32:19 AM by bacillus »
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DarwinBot Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 02:34:07 PM »
Perhaps a small revision: the bot must destroy all other bots. This would be a crash to most sims, if a powerful enough bot went around eating up all the food and destroying all other bots, then only to destryo themselves, thus bringing an appocolyps to DB.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
DarwinBot Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 01:42:22 AM »
Not really the same, that would make them more of a suicide bomber; they just have to die in a brilliantly stupid fashion.
 In the true Darwinian fashion, I suggest giving merit to bots that evolved to die stupidly.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 01:45:06 AM by bacillus »
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DarwinBot Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 01:59:49 PM »
The question remains; what benefit comes from evolving to die?

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
DarwinBot Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 02:02:07 PM »
Quote from: gymsum
The question remains; what benefit comes from evolving to die?
None.  That's the point.  See this site.
Many beers....

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DarwinBot Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 03:18:44 PM »
Then I suppose the most succesful bots fall under the category for the Ig-Darwin Awards. OK I like it.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
DarwinBot Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 06:13:17 PM »
"Ig Darwin Awards"?
- Carl Sagan

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
DarwinBot Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 06:33:52 PM »
I think it's a reference to the Ig Nobel Prizes.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
DarwinBot Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 07:22:49 PM »
If you say so.
I saw a bot when running the league that might qualify (just):

cond
*.nrg 1 >=
*.myaimsx 1 !=
start
60 .repro store
stop

cond
*.eye5 30 >
*.refeye *.myeye !=
start
-1 .shoot store
stop

cond
*.eye5 29 <
*.vel 20 <
start
5 .up store
stop

cond
*.eye5 0 !=
*.refeye *.myeye =
start
1860 rnd .aimdx store
stop

cond
*.eye3 *.eye7 !=
*.eye1 *.eye9 != or
*.eye5 35 <
*.refeye *.myeye !=
start
*.eye3 *.eye1 add *.eye7 *.eye9 add sub 2 mult .aimsx store
stop

cond
*.nrg 1000 >=
start
60 .repro store
stop

cond
*.vtimer 0 =
start
1 .mkvirus store
stop

cond
*.vtimer 1 >
start
'donothing
stop

cond
*.vtimer 1 =
start
250 .vshoot store
stop

end

basically, whoever built this bot is relying on either mutations disabling the first gene or the virus killing everything in the first 38 cycles (the record survival time for this bot).

Take a bow, Simple Bot Virus, the only bot in the league to lose to Aura!
- Carl Sagan

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DarwinBot Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 10:19:09 PM »
Heres one for the records, its not a veggie:

Code: [Select]
cond
*.robage mod *.timer .repro store
*.robage mod *.timer .shootval store
-1 *.timer *.robage div mult .shoot store
stop
end

I dont think you could find a worse candidate for a small time simulation because it doesnt do anything to survive, it just duplicates, not even moving to create a third or fourth one, perfect prey for your bot.

edited for your pleasure. Does not push 50 .repro every cycle, in fact he ratio of times not stored to times stored is logarythmic to time. and actually stores .repro based on time, which eventually should destroy the bot since its age will vary significantly each generation from the timer, pusing the values wrapped higher into infinity. call it the infinity destroyer. has a slight chance for successs because of mutations, other than that should be a complete failure. Ok, now with even more time-dependent changing values.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 01:31:03 AM by gymsum »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
DarwinBot Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 11:15:44 PM »
I think you might be missing the point:

Quote from: bacillus
(please only post really good ones eg. not only push 50 .repro store every cycle)

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DarwinBot Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 01:20:24 AM »
Ok, I've changed it from the simpler bot, to a 4d based bot that reproduces only based on time, ideally the entire bot will copy this timer related genes and develop more timer related genes. Or will simply destroy itself by cycle 3000 in 2 and 3 generations.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
DarwinBot Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 01:27:45 AM »
I'm still hesitant to accept it; look at the virus shooter as an example, the reproductive death is just a byproduct of trying to achieve success by killing everything with a virus.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 01:28:39 AM by bacillus »
- Carl Sagan

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DarwinBot Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 01:31:51 AM »
Ok, Now I understand. I didnt go with a virus, but a shoot store that changes every cycle, and should let the bot get something going before completely dieing off.

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
DarwinBot Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 07:56:41 AM »
Ehm, just to avoid confusion, the Darwin awards are for people who die doing something very stupid. Like people who jump off a roof holding an umbrella... stuff like that... basicaly people that are doing us all a favor by exiting the gene pool.

It kind of defeats the purpose of DB though, since a lot of the mutated bots you get can't survive in the long run, either don't reproduce, or do it too often and stuff like that...
It's hard to find bots that do something exceptionaly stupid though... I think those would be the interesting ones, those who die out in a less obvious way by doing something stupid...