Author Topic: What EricL really looks like  (Read 11235 times)

Offline Cyberduke

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
What EricL really looks like
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2008, 01:24:19 AM »
Heh, oh yeah Camelot was another one I tried, and Anarchy online, EQ2, Asheron's call, AC2 and Horizons. Went though a few, looking for something that held my attention like UO did. It could have been that UO was just my first MMO and it was all new I suppose but I think it was also that it had a lot more depth to it, They tried to create a virtual world and then build a game inside that, even with little things like the GM’s being portrayed as other powerful characters in the game, rather than outside it. And ok I never exactly went around harvesting wheat and baking bread, or sheering sheep and knitting clothing but the knowing the fact you could if you wanted too, still added something. Also not having come from a pen & paper background I liked the skill based approach added to the fact they didn’t expose the workings of the system, nothing had numbers on apart from your own skills, items or the evaluation of other players skills where qualified and quantified with textural descriptions.

Yeah, I really liked some of the ideas in ATITD2, only played the second one. I think going into that kind of detail would make a good bases for a crafting system in a more fully fleshed out MMO. I kept getting annoyed with the UI though.

Hah and same with WoW, I think I was just board with MMO’s at that point. In fact I think I only lasted 3 days of my trial.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 01:25:10 AM by Cyberduke »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
What EricL really looks like
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2008, 01:39:38 PM »
I had a great time in UO playing a miner and blacksmith, maybe more so than my mage.  And with the super inflated housing prices earning gold had meaning beyond just getting more leet loot.

Those are my feelings with ATiTD, too.  UI a little weak, and it would be a great game if counterpointed with some combat and destruction