Author Topic: Bugs in buggy version  (Read 20271 times)

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2005, 05:08:13 PM »
You got a size 12 sim working?

I thought it crashed on anything bigger than 4.
It does!

How the f(boing) can you get above size four without an overflow error?

As soon as any robot has an x coordinate bigger than 32000 it goes bye-bye.

:(  PY  :(
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2005, 05:12:54 PM »
Maybe he really does have 3.6.  From the Future.  Tell us how we finally figured out the enzyme system, will ya?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2005, 10:37:29 PM »
To everyone that has the version of 3.0 with screwy eye codes (they grow slower as bots approach, making so that *.eye5 = 20 where it used to equal 50) I've just gone through and, with alot of math, fixed it so it's much closer to the way the old eyes worked.

Which means bots from previous versions should once again work unmodified in 3.0

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2005, 01:32:20 AM »
Sure it works. Nums, you're the one who sped it up enough to make it work :D .
I got interested in the idea from the talk about using larger sims for more diverse evolution. I kept increasing the size wondering at what size it would stop working and to my surprise it didn't :lol: . I haven't spotted any overflow shut downs caused by the size, so it seems to work okay.

Weird thing that "floor" I'm trying to figure out how it works so I can use it in a bot. Already I've seen a primitive feeding cycle start-up so I'm wondering what could be done deliberatly with it.

Endy B)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2005, 01:40:19 AM »
I must have fixed the bug!

Well, I probably just added code that stopped xpos and ypos from returning anything larger than 32000.  But still!

I'm so excited I'm going to be running a huge sim over night to see what happens.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2005, 08:49:42 AM »
Well if so then you must have done it quite recently. My source code crashes the moment I go to size 5.
Happens right in "writesenses" where the value is assigned to .xpos.

My planned fix for this is to switch to 32bit memory locations. Then there will be no limits on any of the values in memory. And robots can store decimals too  :D (unless we use long integers. I haven't figured that out in VB yet)

:D  PY  :D
and those who don't

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2005, 05:06:30 PM »
[Numsgils note:  Bots just recently got the full source for 2.36/3.0, for those of you lost already]

ok , I seen the source code, "Version B" is missing a lot of cint() stuff, forget about the fact that I got at least 3 copy’s , including some "Version B" from Num.

Lets have the good News first.

1.) The Program Runs a Lot Faster!
2.) The Menus are a lot cooler!

Ok now lets have the not so good news, I hate them myself though

1.) The Huge Selection circle is ok, but there is a problem, If I change my mind and want to select another robot next to the one I just selected, I cant because the selection circle is not transparent
2.) When I pause the simulation the background turns Black for some reason.
3.)The Alga amount code is completely messed up, If we add the e-grid we are going to have to get rid of it completely… (Like max energy on field is about 125, if I change the number , its still says 125, alga does not reproduce at all also.)
4.) In the e-grid menu I cant find any “Methane gas” or anything I can use for the 50/50 system.
5.)This is an old one, !> is the same thing as <= , and , !< is the same thing as >= , I have no idea why we have separate operators here , we should have 2 operators instead of 4 .
6.)Currently the mutation is not visible in the Robot Data viewer, are my new mutation types being added? were they already added?
7.)I seen nice light energy control , but I did not see my robot plasment control yet.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 05:08:36 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2005, 05:16:22 PM »
1.  Yep, I know.

2.  That's the E-grid.  It only shows up when the sim is paused.  Reason?  It's really slow otherwise.  PY's looking into fixing that.

3. Max energy on the field control will be gone soon.  I'll keep the robot population control control though.

In my opinion, run a sim with no limits, and I think you'll see more realistic evolution.

4.  The egrid is so underdeveloped right now it's not even funny.  PY just went through and defined the basic way the Egrid interacts with the program.  There's still alot to do with it.

5.  Yup, same thing.  The program even treats them as such.  Why are they there?  So DNA programmers can use whichever they like better.

6.  What do you mean?  I've seen mutations being listed before, I think.

7.  I got sick and tired of the options module.  Did you see all of what I changed?  That was like a solid week of work.

If you want to add it yourself, feel free.  The beauty of it is that the program is now so modulare we can all work on it at once.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2005, 05:18:33 PM »
Ok some of these things I haven't seen in my source code (which admitedly is a little bit different than Num's)

1) Huge selections circle. Personally I don't like this. If you want to select another robot, click somewhere else on the background and it will disappear. Now you can choose a new bot.

2) Background goes black because it is defaulting to the output display of the e-grid on level 1 (currently not even used for anything much, no matter what the label says.) Fixed in my source.

3) Haven't really checked this at all. I will have to look into it.

4) Methane gas hasn't been added to the grid yet. About the only level that works is the O2 level. Temperature also reads back some syuff I think. (at least mine does but I don't know if Num's version does yet. Can't remember if I had that working when I sent it to him.

5) That was deliberate just for variety. :P

6) Huh? Works perfectly here ????  :blink:

7) Don't know about this one. That is Num's area.

:D  PY  :D
and those who don't

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2005, 05:29:20 PM »
1.) Yep I know means: you will fix it? right?
2.) Currently the e-grid is a black screen, there are no lines to Indicate where one grid square ends and the other grid square begins.
3.) I hope I will.
4.) Ok , good luck.
5.) Not cool , but ok if you added it already , no point of removing it.Just wanted to know, what you mean in the help, that “<= is the logical >” and  “>= is the logical <”
6.) I see the mutations listed but I dont see the dna changing., thats the problem, Qustion was: Did Py add my new mutations yet; The mutation rates windows still looks the same -no new controls.
7.) I don't think I have the source code for that on my computer any more, I can check.... Its better that you add it yourself , I can mess somthing up. I'll look into it anyway.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 05:30:17 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2005, 05:33:27 PM »
2.) I cant say its a grid , its a black screen not a grid, Is each square supposed to turn a different shade of color?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2005, 05:37:39 PM »
1. Yup

2.  Go to the menu, and try the different egrid controls.  You'll see what we mean.

5.  In what help file do you mean?

6.  Weird.  I'll look into it.

7.  It's probably still attached to the post you made on this board somewhere.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2005, 05:42:17 PM »
PY and I haven't synchronized our code in a while, so neither of us have what the other is working on.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2005, 05:43:51 PM »
5.) DarwinBotsSource3.0\Darwinsource2.36\Darwinsource2.36B\DarwinBotsII.vbp , Run it....

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2005, 05:48:42 PM »
"PY and I haven't synchronized our code in a while, so neither of us have what the other is working on. "

Man, Thats why I am all for making a computer company (selling it) , So we can have a networked office with SourceSafe and stuff.