Author Topic: Bugs in buggy version  (Read 19334 times)

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2005, 01:09:41 PM »
Wibble Wibble!

:wibble: PY :wibble:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 01:09:51 PM by PurpleYouko »
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2005, 10:24:02 PM »
Found another weird one in H-grav mode. I set up an evosim using the largest field size with a Sharefeeder bot. Most of the time all the agla will fall down like normal. Ocasionally a few would stay suspended, it appears to be possibly caused by shots going over the screen(both times there was a mass of bots at the bottom) I'm not sure exactly why this occured; but the unmutated plants had normal mass values, no buoyancy, and were unfixed. Very odd but interesting population of plants hovering far above the "ground".

Another one that probably got overlooked is the sharefeeding glitch(bots staying at 4 nrg continously) I'm pretty sure Nums and PY got busy on the next vers and forgot to change this. :D

I'll try to post the Share Feeder when I have a chance.

Endy B)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 10:41:45 PM by Endy »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2005, 02:45:33 AM »
3.0 should have the sharenrg bug fixed.  I definately took the time to hunt it down and :bash:.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2005, 04:32:37 PM »
I saw this in several different sims observing multiple bots maintaining about 4 nrg. It is possible the bots were sharing at exactly the right amount to stay at 4, but it seems unlikely.

Endy B)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2005, 04:45:04 PM »
You're sure that you've noticed this in 3.0?  Not 2.35?

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2005, 04:51:56 PM »
If it's updated in 3.0 why not in 3.5? Which I found it in. I just figured it used the same basic code and then you improved upon it for 3.5, am I wrong?

Endy :unsure:

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2005, 05:53:11 PM »
3.5?  There's only 2.35 and 2.36(AKA 3.0)

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2005, 10:37:35 PM »
Alright, let me be more clear, I found them in the buggy version you sent me "3.0". My reasoning is that any bug fixed in a older vers would be fixed in a newer "version". A reasonable assumption but not necessarily true, I'll admit, if an older base file was used.

The bugs were simultaneously weird and interesting. :D
The floating Agla thing was interesting but I couldn't stabilize it. Trying to cut population down by deleting over 400 bots in one MB is not wise :) trust me.

I'm going to try to find some sort of screen capture program so I can simply send a picture of these things, instead of trying (and failing) to explain them.

Endy B)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2005, 10:40:27 PM »
Just press "printscreen" button on your keyboard :)
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2005, 11:58:39 AM »
3.0 should be the latest version you have.  Check to see if you see the bug in it.  I have a feeling you're running an older version thinking it's a newer version.  2.35 didn't have the bug, 2.36/3.0 should have the bug fixed.  There is no 3.6 or whatever.

If you find the bug in 3.0, I'll go look it up.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2005, 01:23:42 PM »
Were is 3.0 , I cant find it on the server....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2005, 01:29:39 PM »
Again (for like the umpteenth time), 3.0 is not even at an alpha version yet, so it is not actually available for public release.  I did this so that new people won't go trying to run 3.0 before they run 2.35, get disgusted with all the bugs, and give up.

However, if anyone wants to see what the Rock is cooking, send me an email address where I can send a ~705KB attachment of the program as it stands and some other files.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2005, 04:38:34 PM »
Nope, it's 3.0; it has the new stuff you mentioned high speed, shot aiming, and beta E-grid. Without the new settings I'd have serious trouble convincing my computer to even think of allowing a size 12 sim.

I worked more on the floating bug and found it can affect any bot causing them to rise to the top for size 10, slightly down from the top for size 11, and about 5% down from the top for size 12. The best bot/size to observe this was Din at size 12. One Agla would start the cycle by rising to the invisible "floor" whenever it would repro the offspring has a good chance to fall down. After a while several agla would find this "floor" but as they can still fall off(not sure of cause) Din would hang out right below and eat them. Eventually the Dins would be able to follow them up reaching the same level, eating the agla there and causing the cycle to begin again somewhere else.

I think this may be related to what is occuring with the walls but I have no easy way to prove it.

Endy B)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2005, 04:42:48 PM »
You got a size 12 sim working?

I thought it crashed on anything bigger than 4.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in buggy version
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2005, 04:43:38 PM »
I'll get to work on isolating and removing bugs.