Author Topic: anyone ever played everquest??  (Read 4559 times)

Offline jetto

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
anyone ever played everquest??
« on: September 29, 2005, 06:21:42 PM »
anyone?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 06:49:44 PM »
I played Ultima Online for a while.  Never touched Everquest.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 09:18:58 AM »
I don't play anything tht I have to pay for every month. Don't mind a one off fee for membership but not Monthly or a time card or that kind of stuff.

Something like Guild Wars is OK.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Yossarian

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 02:44:15 PM »
I felt like that, that why would I want to pay for a game that I've already paid for? However, I know a lot of guys at work who play World of Warcraft, and that's all they talk about. WoW this, WoW that, you get the idea. So when PCGamer included a 2-week trial a couple of months ago, I checked it out, and I have to admit it was pretty fun. The world was MASSIVE compared with other computer RPG's. Plus there were several patches released in just the two weeks I played it, including a huge one that added new zones to the world. I was impressed.

Thing is, I'm not much for sword and scorcery stuff anymore (stopped playing D&D in jr. high, thank you). But I started to warm up to the idea that a huge game that is heavily supported could be worth the $15/month, at least for a few months. Fate heard me say that, and the next month in PCGamer, they included a 3-week free trial of City of Heroes. I checked it out, and now I subscribe. I can't say I'm going to stick with it for the long term, but for now it's pretty fun.

So I guess the moral of the story is I suggest you search out a free trial of whatever game interests you. MMO's are better than I thought they were. Besides, the way I figure it, I got 3 weeks free, then I bought the game for $30, which comes with 30 days free. So it seems that even at $15/month, I'll be getting 3.75 months of playtime out of the same money that would buy a normal $50 game (which sometimes lose my interest in less than 3.75 months).

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 03:19:26 PM »
MMOs are two things in my mind:

1.  Really fun

2.  Really dangerous.

The two are even interrelated.  The fun comes from always having goals you can work to attain.  The danger comes in forgetting life exists outside that little virtual world.

I learned a long time ago: if I want to have any interaction with reality, I have to stay away from MMOs.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 03:57:59 PM »
I did not play everquest but I did have a bad expereance with another sonys game called cosmicrift.

If its not my emagination, and by now I am more then 50% shore its not. They rigged me to lose when I try but to win when I dont care. And they do not reply to ideas that users may have. And the security is so bad you'll start thinking its them who are hacking you, not just another player.

P.S.

Don't ask how they did it. It seems to boil down to using a bot that slightely alters my movment in game. If I try to make a move that does not match the move the bot wants me to make , it  does 75% my own controls and 25% the bots controls resolting in an even worse move that causes me to lose. If I play just like the bot then I don't win as mutch as I want to and its boaring as hell there is no learning prosses involved. (I learned to play as good as that bot a long time ago) It is also rigged so If I dont press anything then it will look like I am really not doing anything. So they pritty mutch exspect me to play like an avrage player. I say *F them evil corrupt multibillion duller corparation sony = evil... end of story.

I am waiting until I get a new dell so I can actualy play modern games. I want to play star track online when it comes out.

Witch brings me to another example of how sony *F me over:

I get matrix online and a 60day pre paid card and go install and sign up. While its already downloading the game (witch is strange the update is bigger then the 3cds it came with , means on a 56k will take 5hours to download) I desided to open up there manual book and read the rules and controls. (Before I did that I assumed the game has low system requirments because its not writtin anywere on the box, or does not prompt anything in the installation or the registration about them.) The thing I see on the second page is: you need '1000MB of RAM' to play this game. I was like well I am not getting a new computer any time soon so my 50 dollers and my 60 day registration is out the window because they say. "Thank you for canceling your account, you can still play during the time remaining" (whith I should of done anyway, because If I did not cancel 5 dayes early after the 60 day time period the will send me a check for the next month the way aol did.) (aol= pure evil.) I dont want to play, I WANT MY MONEY BACK.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 04:12:46 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 10:47:39 AM »
Bots, I bet you were experiencing lag in cosmic rift.  I doubt anyone was hacking you.  I doubt anyone even cared to hack you.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 12:57:42 PM »
That had to be some really strange lag Num... the whole thing started after I won the turnamint. I dought it was a kid who can engeener somthing so monstress, I think it is sony who is doing this...

Read it again Num, then tell me witch kind of lag can possibly do that...

OR

I dont care I am just saying whats mmos really are like if you want to beleave me or not I dont care.

Offline Yossarian

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 07:03:44 PM »
The two are even interrelated.  The fun comes from always having goals you can work to attain.  The danger comes in forgetting life exists outside that little virtual world.
Very true, sir. When playing CoH I try to pace myself, both to retain some semblance of a "real life", as well as to not burn out on the game by playing too much too quickly. It's been a long time since I've been able to play any game for more than a couple of hours, though.

Some guys go crazy over MMO's. I used to be in a Medal of Honor clan (420thSS if any of you guys ever used to play MoHAA online), and one day I realized that we hadn't seen one of our members for awhile. I looked at his XFire stats and noticed that between WoW, CoH, and Star Wars: Galaxies, he had a combined 2500 hours, roughly. Madness!

I've never played Cosmic Rift, but different games lag differently. In CoH, the game will just straight up tell you "Lost connection to server" for a moment, and everything stops. That's the good way to handle lag. WoW, on the other hand, doesn't give any indication of lag. You'll be running along the road, and see a monster, and go to attack it. You'll be right next to it, but the game will say it's out of range. You slowly come to realize that the game sees you being hundreds of yards away from where you thought you were, due to lag. It's infuriating, and I died multiple times from not knowing where my dude actually was! I'm not saying it's lag that caused your problems in Cosmic Rift, but I doubt the game was deliberately messing with you. What possible reason would they have to do that? Sony might make crap electronics, but they're not evil, after all! :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 07:10:57 PM by Yossarian »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 11:18:49 PM »
And if someone is going to hack your computer (which is actually quite difficult on modern PCs without having the hackee download and install something) why only subtley mess with your game?  Why not steal your account, or your credit card info, or use you as a silent proxy?  Or do fun things like open and close your CD tray and lock your mouse (I used to have fun with that one on my brother and sister!)