Author Topic: Optics  (Read 16319 times)

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2005, 12:42:41 AM »
the light intesity is the inverse square. if we double the distance it becomes 4 times weaker
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2005, 10:28:46 AM »
Light intensity for a radiating body in a non absorptive medium.  Things like stars in space.  Doesn't quite work the same if the medium is absorbing light as you go along.  At least I don't beleive so.  Feel free to find something to the contrary.

Here's my proof:

Theory:
Light intensity decreases as the square of the distance from a light source. For example, if you measure 200 lm/ft2 at a distance of two feet from a light bulb, then at a distance of four feet, you will detect 50 lm/ft2. This fact assumes that the light is travelling through a vacuum. This is a reasonable approximation for air, but it is not a fair approximation for water. First of all, when light makes the transition from air to water, a fair portion of that light will be reflected. This explains why you can often see your reflection in a calm pool of water. This reflection of light occurs because water has a higher index of refraction than air. The light that is ultimately transmitted (allowed to penetrate the water) then has to deal with more absorption and scattering from various particles in the water. This combination of absorption and scattering is called attenuation. All these factors explain why it is significantly darker underwater than above water.

Like light intensity, temperature tends to decrease as depth increases. There are two reasons for this. For one thing, less light is received the further down below the surface you go. When light is absorbed by a substance, it is converted into heat, so more light means more heat. As you go down further and further beneath the surface, you'll find less and less light and therefore temperatures are cooler. It is also a fact that cold water is denser than warm water, so it will sink down to the bottom while warm water rises to the surface.

This is what I found (yes, read it.  Seriously.  READ...IT)

Source Some crazy experiment for kids (or maybe students).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 10:32:04 AM by Numsgil »

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2005, 10:49:22 AM »
interesting, I like it exept that its using foot. god damn it why cant ppl use SI units, the right and only good units.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 01:08:36 PM by zelos »
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2005, 06:58:44 PM »
Alright, I'll chip in my two cents. :)  I was just wondering if we could create true day/night cycles, affecting sight radius with this. Shouldn't be too hard since some of the code is already there for the plants.

Something like *.night could be used to tell the "time".

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2005, 07:58:32 PM »
You mean a gradual change instead of BAM night and BAM day?

I was thinking of tying this sight radius thing in pretty tightly with the veggie controls.  Unless people think they want seperate controls for each.

That would also encourage bots to sleep at night.  Before the problem was bots that hunted irregardless of what time it was, decimating a veggy population in the middle of the night.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2005, 01:41:11 AM »
this with the night could partly be solved with the astronomy things I suggested a while ago

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2005, 04:05:48 AM »
Oops, didn't realize there was already a daytime memloc. :redface:

I was just thinking it'd be nice for the bots to be actually restricted sight wise during night, like they'd be restricted at deeper/darker depths. Prehaps also add something that allows bots to see farther at night/deeper depths, but be restricted during the day/closer to surface and vice versa. Should probably have some sort of cost associated with it, to keep bots from abusing it.

I think that be a good idea using veggie controls for it. It'd seem kind of silly restricting the bots from seeing but have the same amount of nrg available from the plants.

To Zelos- While it's nice to imagine a future species of bots looking sideways into the stars, and wondering what sort of deranged creator is out there; I don't think it's very practical. :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 04:06:44 AM by Endy »

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2005, 04:28:12 AM »
to endy
go and read about it before you comment it einstein
im not talking about having stars. im talking about that light intensity change along as the day and year pass on.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 04:29:56 AM by zelos »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2005, 09:09:22 PM »
Zelos's idea was actually quite intricate, involving light intensity changing based on if the playing field was part or a whole of a planet.  It just needs the E grid for it to ever be practical.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2005, 10:46:10 AM »
it sure need it, btw hows it going with it? the egrid I mean

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2005, 01:35:21 PM »
When school gets a good rhythm I can start programming again.  I also need to finish the new mutations code.

I posted the source with the hope that it might inspire some forum goers to give a whack at adding or fixing something.  If I can get someone to handle the smaller coding issues, PY and I can concentrate on the more massive code changes.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2005, 03:49:11 PM »
Problem is:

A. I have collage myself.

B. My new firstbot "seems" to evolve yet again , time will tell.

-Forumgoersareus

:D  , sry (If firstbot evolves consider that my excuse)

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2005, 11:21:35 AM »
boit, what does that have to do with this?

Offline Ulciscor

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2005, 12:16:59 PM »
[Bots] was just saying that he didn't have time to help with coding right now because he had other priorities.
:D Ulciscor :D

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2005, 01:37:33 PM »
I know Bots, don't sweat it.

Maybe we should set up a donation page on the home site, and distribute funds from it to programmers based on effort :D

No?  Well, I can dream...