Author Topic: Optics  (Read 16320 times)

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2005, 12:59:53 AM »
why use RGB? why not use the the frequens? red is 420 THz blue 750 THz and green is about 580 THz. So we could have one value that tells what color it sees. The frequens of the light (It gives the opritinity to see IR and UV) But we could also have a light intesity.  Like how many watt per cm² (but our own values). Then we could also have a minimum light intesity. If the intesity is less the bot cant see what ever that reflect or is lumonating.
What kind of formula are you after num?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 07:44:59 AM by zelos »
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Ulciscor

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2005, 01:03:49 AM »
Oh my.... I find this pointlessly overcomplicated. But then I never liked physics anyway. Why introduce more complex real life physics when the bots can't even utilise the current physics properly?
:D Ulciscor :D

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2005, 07:43:48 AM »
cause its fun, more accure. more options. and is already something life have adepted to and there for wouldnt have problem to adept to it again. if you dont like physic you dont like reality
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2005, 09:03:31 AM »
I'd use RGB for the simple fact that that's how VB is doing it already.  All the bots already have an RGB value, so it's real easy to take that and do fun things with it.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2005, 09:49:55 AM »
just to clear things out, with RGB you mean red green and blue right? where in db is that? ive never seen we use it.
if we use that the problem is that we lose specefic colors. I think it would be fun to see bots evolve colors others cant see but they can and maybe even use it as comunication.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 10:17:27 AM »
It's in the code.  That's how all colors are handled in Visual Basic, which, of course, Darwinbots is written in.

We don't get ultraviolet, but then, do we really need it?  The point is that there's a window that bots have to their vision.  It doesn't matter if it has parallels in real life or not.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2005, 12:30:29 AM »
if VB use it it will obvius be easy to use RGB then but some of the fun is gone then

Offline Ulciscor

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2005, 12:58:45 AM »
if you dont like physic you dont like reality
I don't understand why we have to make the bots more like life on Earth. We know how they evolved and turned out. I would have thought it would be more interesting to see how bots would evolve in conditions unfamiliar to us. That's my opinion anyway.

Just because we see a certain way doesn't mean every other organism in the universe does. For all we know there are some that can look into DNA. If it works then why change it?
:D Ulciscor :D

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2005, 03:31:31 AM »
youre right that it might not evolve like on earth but most planest have the same options we did in the past so why shouldnt we give our life those options?

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2005, 04:20:08 AM »
Like the idea of luminosity it would be handy to use it for eco sims and be able to seperate bots by having them not see each other.

Could we do something with the negative values of RGB? Possibly represent other color spectrums with them(3?). Not ever necessary normally,(considering our own eyes are limited :) ) but DB doesn't have to follow our rules.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 04:21:49 AM by Endy »

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2005, 04:55:58 AM »
maybe, but I rather have frequenses. it gives the option of some bots see a certain color while others dont

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2005, 09:02:48 AM »
Negative RGB values might work.  Depends alot on the formula we decide to use.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2005, 09:12:35 AM »
im pretty good at formulas, so what shall the formula tell? and what values do we have to our help? RGB of course but what more?

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2005, 09:45:17 AM »
if its that at a certain distance the color vanish and becoems invisible we should use the square law. wich means that the light is 1/4 as intens when the distance is double. so with something that tells how sensetiv the bot is for light. We could use the watt/dm². its easy and gives low numbers for big values. the normal intensity on earth would be 11W/dm² (from the sun). If we use this we can make the formula simple with out RGB. Unless RGB stands for the intesity of RGB.
the formula without RGB would be
Code: [Select]
I/r²-B
where I is the emited intesity and r is the distance and B is the bots intesity its able to see. So when its minus or 0 it dont see it. But with RGB it would simply replace I with (R+G+B) but what about if we have so that water absorb light of different color different? then we can use some formulas. then we have to decied how it absorb. does it absord light as total no matter how far it goes or does it abosrb like X%/m. with the constant one we simply put the a K (konstant) infront of each RGB, so it would look like
(K(R)*R+K(G)*G+K(B)*B)K(X) is the constant of the color in it.with a %/m it will look different. it would look
(K(R)^r*R+K(G)^r*G+K(B)^r*B)with this light decrease very fast. what do you think guys? is this the way you wanted nums?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 09:46:40 AM by zelos »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Optics
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2005, 04:30:14 PM »
I'm not 100% sure it should be inverse square, since it's not that the light intensity becomes too faint, but that the light is absorbed by the medium.  That might be a linear relationship.

I dunno, I'd have to check how the Gradient is handled.