Author Topic: stable version?!  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Azak

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
stable version?!
« on: June 30, 2005, 07:23:23 PM »
hi ive been playing with db since version 2.1 and I must say I like the new features implementet till today but why do you put all these features in the programm instead of fixing the bugs?

it is almost impossible to run a long-time simulation because of all the crashes and not loadeable autosaves.

everytime I saw a new updates on the server I hoped: "omg plz let it be a stable bug and crash free version" but there are always new (and nice) features and new bugs.

I really like this programm and its very interresting to evolve new behaviors and try out new sim conditions. its one of the best ive ever seen on the web :clap:. but these crashes are driving me crazy :wacko: . it wont be as bad as it is if I could only load the saves I made after the crash.

so my suggestion is: plz work on a more stable, bug free version instead of implementing new stuff! :pokey:
(sry for my strange english ;) )

Offline Ulciscor

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
stable version?!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 07:34:29 PM »
I think bugs are being fixed all the time, as people find them. Obviously some are more complex and harder to fix than others and so will take longer though.

Adding features is to increase the scope of DB and make it able to simulate a more diverse variety of situations. Plus I am thinking it's probably more fun to add new features than just fix the old ones all the time!  :D

If you find any errors or bugs you should post them on the Bug Board; it will help [Num],[PY] and co to fix any errors in the program.

And welcome to the boards!
:D Ulciscor :D

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
stable version?!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 08:19:29 PM »
There's a zip on the FTP called "stable release" from a previous version.  To my knowledge, that's the most stable version.  Try that one for a while.

The only thing that should really cause alot of errors is if you have incorrect settings in the options form that overflow the program.  Is that is the case, you won't even be able to get 1 cycle in before it crashes.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
stable version?!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 10:29:52 PM »
All the recent versions are quite stable - I am running sims for days on end, getting millions of cycles and don't see crashes.  Sure, they happen sometimes, but really not that often.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
stable version?!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 10:43:42 PM »
Also, the latest version records autosaves correctly (I've used it extensively myself).

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
stable version?!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 08:48:25 AM »
I still get crashes in the sexrepro procedures during mutations on a quite regular basis. For that reason I use scripts to kill any bot developing sexrepro.
I know this isn't the best fix but it works for now.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D