Author Topic: A few suggestions(Endy)  (Read 6634 times)

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
A few suggestions(Endy)
« on: June 19, 2005, 04:42:48 AM »
Here are just a few ideas I've had in the past weeks; not sure how they'll be received. :unsure:

The first idea had is that it would be possible to have functions, of a sort, in DB. The idea is that functions would be defined and entered into the dna at the start.

ie.
f1 0 floor 1 ceil mult dec
f2 dup div mult inc
cond
start
.fixpos *.fixed f2
stop

This would be how you could write it, but for the bots all they would see and be able to seperatly is the actual code.

cond
start
.fixpos dup div mult inc
stop

This way no mutations in the functions could occur, but the code they mean would be capable of mutating.(not the normal method, I know, but most programmers don't have to worry about mutating code :) )

Another idea was a set of negative sysvars equal to the positive ones(abs num before storing). This way the bots could still use a negative store to produce a behavior.

The last idea I had was a "flip" command that would flip the top two stacked numbers. The only problem is how to have it activated for a specific peice of dna, I was thinking of it only flipping based on a number before/after it. Should allow an effect similar to rnd for evobots, allowing them greater versatility from a single strand of dna.

Alright that's all for now, hope you like the ideas, comments are appreciated. :D

Endy B)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 04:43:43 AM by Endy »

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
A few suggestions(Endy)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 11:55:49 AM »
Another idea was a set of negative sysvars equal to the positive ones(abs num before storing). This way the bots could still use a negative store to produce a behavior.

Well I wrote a "Random Painter" program that uses modulation (modulation: a more complex method then simple abs()) for out of range numbers everywhere there is an error, the result was a generally chaotic generation of numbers. My point is the DNA code must be very specific about what it wants to do; the compiler should not "repair" the code for the robot. I think it’s a bad idea.

The first idea had is that it would be possible to have functions

Good Idea , I think functions will result in better mutations , and will make it easyer for the user to program robots.

This would be how you could write it, but for the bots all they would see and be able to seperatly is the actual code.

Bad Idea, functions are a good replacement for "cloning" specific math in the DNA. I believe that things like cloning is very important, currently we only have genes that can be "cloned". If we let the DNA define its own costume sysvars , functions , and finally make use of the new "and" "or" operators as it mutates we should defiantly get more effective results.

But generaly Endy , it sounds like the only thing you are missing is a good dna editor. I think Num is working on a DNA debugger it should be close.

The last idea I had was a "flip" command that would flip the top two stacked numbers.
I like this, it will work for well stuff like "a / b" or "b / a"

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
A few suggestions(Endy)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 12:15:22 PM »
Don't care about the first - can be done if enough people want it.

Second idea (functions) is good, as far as these functions don't make it into the actual DNA code - Nums had the same idea a couple of days (weeks?) back, but he wanted bots to be able to do that too.

Third idea (flip command) is nice.  Don't see what you would use it for, but it sounds like fun.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
A few suggestions(Endy)
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 04:12:15 PM »
I think the flip would be more use as a type of mutation. Maybe a bot could simply flip two values in  its DNA.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
A few suggestions(Endy)
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 04:18:38 PM »
Well I have a reverse mutation I'm working on.  If you set a length of two, you basically have a swap.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
A few suggestions(Endy)
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 04:43:11 PM »
You mean it reverses a block of DNA code based on a size setting?

Cool  B)
and those who don't

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
A few suggestions(Endy)
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 05:08:55 PM »
Yea, I must agree with PY on that one.

BTW: I am currently waiting for the next virsion , with the bugs fixed (all of them I hope) And dont forget that really annoing one were robots get free energy from junk dna. If that one is not fixed I will have to wait until the robot runs out of dna space before it evolves somthing interesting.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 05:11:07 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
A few suggestions(Endy)
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 05:43:06 PM »
Bots, if you remember, you never found the source of the "free nrg" from the Junk DNA.  Without knowing what is giving free nrg, I can't fix it.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
A few suggestions(Endy)
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 05:43:50 PM »
The swap idea was what I had in mind for the flip command but I wanted it to be trigerable at different instances in the dna. Something like:

.repro .aimdx flip (some set of conditions to activate flip here) store

Would allow bots to switch from turning 300 units to reproducing at 5.

I wanted flip to be designed so that it could be activated/deactivated in multiple places simultaneously, rather than flipping all commands at once.

The idea of functions was that they would be apart from mutations; this way they could still be used by us, but the bot could still mutate the resultant code. It would be possible to make a dna editor with html(most of the commands are already in various dropdown lists :) ), but I would rather an in program method.

The neg sysvar set was to give the bots a group of equivalent commands they could use, similar to how our dna can code for similarly functioning protiens. The abs is just the easiest way to manage this; it's not necessary to the program, but would allow the bots to experiment with negative numbers, since this would give the bots 1000 new possibilities for behaviors.

Endy B)

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
A few suggestions(Endy)
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 08:39:00 AM »
And dont forget that really annoing one were robots get free energy from junk dna.

I haven't been able to reproduce this so like Num, I can't fix it.

Are you absolutely sure that something in your modified source isn't causing this? It is so easy to screw up something in a completely unexpected area when you change a tiny thing somewhere else.
and those who don't

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
A few suggestions(Endy)
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 03:00:29 PM »
Ok Guys, I am waiting for the new source code with some bugs fixed , num will know... If the problem happens again I will post the original and the mutated "junky" robot , and you can put them in F1 mode and see witch one wins for yourselfs. For now I am waiting for the next virsion.

You can find some junky robots in the other threads\\ I give you links , wait up...

http://s9.invisionfree.com/DarwinBots_Foru...ndpost&p=738463

http://s9.invisionfree.com/DarwinBots_Foru...ndpost&p=702091

This files are attached , and are ready to compare to my virsion2 firstbot witch you can find in the bestary:

http://s9.invisionfree.com/DarwinBots_Foru...ndpost&p=630920
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 03:05:48 PM by Botsareus »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
A few suggestions(Endy)
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 03:56:30 PM »
I am running an F1 contest between Carnatus Orbis and a modified version of the same in which I have added 20 copies of the following gene.

Code: [Select]
cond
*.eye5 1 =
start
stop

The modified version has a significantly longer DNA, almost half as long again as the normal version.

In the first contest the modified version is currently leading by 23 to 15 but one set doesn't prove anything. If the modified bot is statistically superior then it should soon show up. I will let you know after a dozen contests or so.
and those who don't

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
A few suggestions(Endy)
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 04:01:45 PM »
PY , I gave this links just now for a reason , look at the "kind" of junk dna this robots use.

Also , the robot must be very simple for you to actualy notice the difference.

I suggest you use the robots spesified in the links.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
A few suggestions(Endy)
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 04:07:01 PM »
PY , I gave this links just now for a reason , look at the "kind" of junk dna this robots use.

Also , the robot must be very simple for you to actualy notice the difference.

I suggest you use the robots spesified in the links.
Sounds increasingly like a non-existant bug.

Perhaps there is an advantage to bots that are first in the species list?  I had that thought back in January, but I never tested it.

Are you sure the bots you're talking about aren't just getting nrg from feeding on body, or maybe they're actually better.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 04:08:19 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
A few suggestions(Endy)
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 06:02:11 PM »
How'd all that stuff come about? Please try to keep stuff somewhat seperate. :wacko:

Endy B)