Author Topic: Renaming sexrepro?  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Renaming sexrepro?
« on: June 06, 2005, 02:20:40 AM »
Would it be possible to rename sexrepro in the sysvars file as something like conjrepro? I was reading about how bacteria were able to mix their dnas through a process called conjugation, similar to what we have now for sexrepro. When Nums gets done fine tuning the chromosome idea, we can perhaps give it the memory location 303(unused?) and a new name(or vice versa, whichever works best).

It might also be a good idea to have the new sexrepro be slower than the normal asexual repro, since this would help to base DB more on real life(increased cost to repro both chromo's, but better for evolution).

Endy B)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Renaming sexrepro?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 02:27:24 AM »
Good idea.  I think conjrepro is something of a funny label though.  conjugate would be better, but without repro in the name, it's hard to tell that's what it is.  Not sure.

I'm open for changing time periods on reproduction.  Ideally all forms of reproduction would take some time (preparing the cell for mitosis/meiosis).  Maybe something ~10 cycles for regular reproduction?  Sexual fusion of either haploid cells (for micro sized sims) or exchanging DNA (for macro sized sims) should both take a little longer than regular reproduction, as you said.

I'm definately open to any ideas.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Renaming sexrepro?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 02:50:25 AM »
Yeah it is a funny name, maybe just something like crepro or conrepro would be better, I was just looking for something to help with the "Sexrepro doesn't work" debate. I'm a bit unsure about having all reproduction take longer, maybe just base the "time" on nrg expended(more nrg/body=more time), although I can think of pros and cons to that system also. :unsure:

Whatever everyone decides is cool with me :)

P.S.

On another note can you all stop err...debating so much? It seems kind of silly for relative strangers to be argueing about the direction a peice of freeware should take. Just stick ND as an option so DB doesn't split too much and let everyone decide on their own. Or option B, just make another Alife program. Lord knows there aren't enough good or even really decent ones around. I personally would like the competition, as a species we do well with it, especially when accomplishing the goal would represent a sucess to everyone.

Endy B)

Offline Carlo

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Renaming sexrepro?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 05:52:55 AM »
On another note can you all stop err...debating so much? It seems kind of silly for relative strangers to be argueing about the direction a peice of freeware should take. Just stick ND as an option so DB doesn't split too much and let everyone decide on their own. Or option B, just make another Alife program. Lord knows there aren't enough good or even really decent ones around. I personally would like the competition, as a species we do well with it, especially when accomplishing the goal would represent a sucess to everyone.

I like especially your option B. I don't think a good combat bots program can also be a good alife simulator, nor that you can keep adding options to make everybody happy. Forking development would then be a good idea. Unfortunately, seems that I would be alone on my side of the fork: which is not bad in itself, but becomes bad when you have no time do dedicate to programming. So, until I find the time to put up my own "concept version" of DB, I'm afraid I'll keep getting on your nerves, here and there  :lol: