Author Topic: Excel Utilities  (Read 3137 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Excel Utilities
« on: May 31, 2005, 08:50:55 AM »
I finally got an Excel version for my 98 OS (which is what I run VB and DB on).  I made a snapshot and successfully loaded it into Excel.  Now how do I use the snapshot excel utility that's supposed to group like robots together?

And if I have no originals remaining (all my veggies mutated to be cancerous since theirs a low maximum veggy count) how do I compare them against the original?

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Excel Utilities
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 11:33:49 AM »
The utility really doesn't do very much at all.

All it can do at this point is to recognize the DNA strings and sort them out into groups that are the same.
Then it can make a new DNA file based on the ID number of the robot.

Beyond that you just have to do whatever you like with the files.

If you want some extra features added then just let me know what you need and I will add it. You could probably add it yourself too. VBA is pretty easy.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Excel Utilities
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 11:40:47 AM »
I'll make a list of what I want, and then probably code it myself :P.

1.  Import a species (for comparison purposes).
2.  Compare two species (or more!), highlighting differences
3.  Compare the combined energy (nrg + body) of a whole species against another.  A smaller faster species isn't necessarily better than a slower bigger species (Ymir was a good example of that).
4.  Save robot should have as input a species number instead of robot number.

Also, it might be a good idea to have the snapshot inside DB do some of this work, and then export an excel file (with some embedded VBA code to help the end user manipulate the data).  I'd have to research excel file formats.

More if I can think of them.