Author Topic: web-page  (Read 7193 times)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
web-page
« on: May 29, 2005, 03:17:42 PM »
I am not allowed to reply to announcements, so I'll post my thought here.

It is a good start.  The colorscheme needs to be changed to make the text more readable.  The "crosshair" is lame, let's chuck it.  The title graphics is cool, but needs to be adjusted a bit, cause it is hard to read.

As for content, I think I already mentioned that the very first page should be aimed more at newbies and introduce the Darwinbots to newcomers.  Once they are hooked, they'll come to board/wiki for more information.

I've been waiting for you to post something, but now I can help a lot more with the page.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
web-page
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 11:57:29 PM »
You automatically hit reply to huh. :rolleyes: It took several attempts before it hit me why I couldn't reply :lol:

Yeah the link structure is relativly okay but that color scheme does suck. I'd probably stick with a similar scheme to what we've been using.

Man, I just got done adding to the wiki, and your telling me I've got to move it. Sheesh. Oh well, I'll try and give you a hand anyways. :)

Endy B)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
web-page
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 12:04:23 AM »
Yeah, sorry endy, but the good news is that you can just copy and paste pages, so you don't have to sit and try to re-come up with everything from scratch.

But as you get into it, you'll see why the mediaWiki engine is sooooo much better.  Plus, this way it's actually on our webspace, so I get to control everything about it.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
web-page
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 03:01:07 AM »
I actually like that you moved it, I was kind of worried about the viability of xwiki to keep going(the profitability on a free wiki is just a little questionable :) ). I was really not looking forward to a possible sudden shop close by them.

Endy :)

Offline Carlo

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
web-page
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 07:40:32 AM »
About the web page. These is a list of things which IMHO need to be changed:

1) the logo isn't the original one, though the original one was itself not very good; but this seems to me definitely worse (looks banal). I'd prefer a different logo or keep the old one.

2) Colours scheme is dark, gloomy, and readability is bad.

3) There are no images, to understand what the site is about you have to read what's written: and still you won't find on the main page the words "artificial life" or anything else explaining what the program is about.  

4) The whole page is included in a vertical band, which is smaller than 800 pixels wide on a 800 px screen. This is surely an error, probably you intended it to be 800 px wide on a 1024 wide screen.

For Numsgil, about the organisms sharing: are you sure you can't set up a (confined) ftp space on the darwinbots server? It would be really cool (shouldn't affect traffic very much, organism files are tiny).

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
web-page
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 07:48:38 AM »
The webspace I have won't let me set up more than one login for the ftp.  Obvioulsy I need at least one to be secure.

I'm working on setting up one on my home computer as well as part of my sister's webspace.  I should have something working by tonight.

Offline Light

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
web-page
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 08:16:38 AM »
Its good to see progress being made on this, should help improve accessibility to DB  :)

Offline Carlo

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
web-page
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 09:25:46 AM »
I'm working on setting up one on my home computer as well as part of my sister's webspace.  I should have something working by tonight.
Great!

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
web-page
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 12:49:48 PM »
Sigh, there's some problems in the upload and download routine for a bot.  Has to do with me changing DNA from a static to a dynamic array.  I'll get on it.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
web-page
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 06:44:05 PM »
what "crossheir" is shvartz talking about?

Did Num Put together my Robot Plasment Control?

Ok ok , downloading latest virsion now , ill take a look.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
web-page
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 06:53:45 PM »
No, but I was thinking about it Bots.

Crosshair is on the webpage when you go over a link.  Looks like +
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 06:54:07 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
web-page
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 07:14:22 PM »
Shvartz, a "crosshier" is good for precise placement of stuff with a mouse. So don't ask me to get rid of it for my placement control (in advance)

(If you to computer art, you probably more familiar with the beauty of having a cross heir) (You can probably can relate to unreal tournament when you aim at monsters)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
web-page
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 07:17:20 PM »
The crosshair is on the webpage.  Ie: www.darwinbots.com, which is quite different from the program.

Speaking of robot placement code, have you worked on it for DB yourself yet?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 07:17:57 PM by Numsgil »

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
web-page
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 09:12:48 PM »
page's been updated
comments welcome
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
web-page
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2005, 03:12:39 AM »
Seeing all the promotion-talk on the site, I think you should get a job in the marketing bussines Shvarz!  :D

Very well done!

Henk