Poll

Should Robot's eye strength be linked to pond mode and night time?

I Love it
7 (77.8%)
Make it Optional
2 (22.2%)
I Hate it
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Poll: Robot's eye strength linked to pond mode and night time  (Read 10362 times)

Offline Tilthanseco

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
Some Suggestions and Bugs for Pond Mode
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 02:08:25 AM »
I used Darwin2.45.02F.

1a. The changing eye strength looks nice; there is just one thing.  Can you make it so the eye strength is unaffected with less light intensity. I want to lower the intensity so plants don't make as much nrg but still have bots be able to see.
       With less than 100 (i.e. 10) now the eyes don't see as far, even with sediment set to 1.

1b. I guess making eye strength based on the fraction of intensity/sediment and depth?

2. On buoyancy, should the bot be charged nrg if it is above the .setboy level? In F, it is charged.

Bugs:

1. Setting sediment level equal or greater than intensity produces run time error 5. (Invalid Procedure call or argument)
         Besides 0 intensity and 0 sediment.

2. The bot gets 1 nrg when intensity is set to 0 at any depth (when set to repopulate).

Thanks your hard work on implementing awesome features in DB. I may try to help in the future, after I figure out vb and the source code  :Uhhhhh:.

p.s. Are chloroplasts implemented in F, I see the settings but didn't get .chlr to work?

p.p.s. Muahah, I'm a bot builder. 8)
Undisputed creator of bot Sonar!

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: Robot's eye strength linked to pond mode and night time
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 02:11:17 PM »
2. On buoyancy, should the bot be charged nrg if it is above the .setboy level? In F, it is charged.

I think they should, think back to the air balloon experiment and add rocket engines, You have a certain buoyancy in the balloon, then you fire up your rocket engines and drift upward, yet the buoyancy remains the same.

Here is another real life scenario which totally wastes energy: A balloon is maxed out on it's air heat and floats all the way up to the ozone layer. Then it fires it's rocket engines to drift down-ward. Now this balloon is wasting both rocket fuel and keep the air hot but floats half way up to the ozone layer  8)

The changing eye strength looks nice; there is just one thing.  Can you make it so the eye strength is unaffected with less light intensity. I want to lower the intensity so plants don't make as much nrg but still have bots be able to see.

Good point, I will have to research this further.

Update:

I am really interested on how sediment effects eye strength only. Therefor, I really hate the idea that 'depth' by itself should have ANY effect on eye strength. How about a formula where ONLY density and not NOT light intensity effect eye strength?

The bot gets 1 nrg when intensity is set to 0 at any depth (when set to repopulate).

This problem goes back all the way to version 2.45.01 as far as I checked. I really see no point in it.

Should I make it zero?

1. Setting sediment level equal or greater than intensity produces run time error 5. (Invalid Procedure call or argument)
         Besides 0 intensity and 0 sediment.

You should never set sediment level greater then 200 or less then 0, I forgot to cap the values.

As far as setting sediment level greater then intensity, I was not able to duplicate this error. see picy. Can you tell me the exact values you used? Or better yet, can you send me the settings file?

p.s.

Thanks for pointing this things out.  :) I had to dull down the chloroplasts explanations for the next version so the users will have an easier time to transition and no they are not yet implemented :(
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:38:36 AM by Botsareus »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 10:44:10 AM »
Hey Tilthanseco, let me know if this works better for you.

If not, I can always adjust the value OR put the old code back and make the whole eye strength thing optional.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:06:56 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Tilthanseco

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 02:57:45 PM »
Yep, I like that better.

I could not reproduce the error either for some reason, wish I did save the settings.

I used (100,100) (100,101) and (1,1) to get the error. But those don't make the error anymore. I will post again if it comes up again.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 03:28:10 PM »
ah I found it, it has to do with dragging a robot to the top of the screen, you may get an invalid procedure or call of argument, fixing now.

Offline Tilthanseco

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 12:47:49 AM »
Now I think you should make the eye thing optional or lower the affect of depth.
My poor bots are almost blind from the middle down using: 96000 x 72000; 100 intensity; 0.1 Sediment.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 01:06:35 PM »
I ended up correcting for screen size, tell me if this is any better...

Offline SlyStalker

• Bot Destroyer
  • nomnomnomnom
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 09:09:09 PM »
But how will we know what level the bot is floating?? On the other hand, it would be real cool to have different species at different levels, like bottom-feeders and the like.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 04:46:23 PM »
But how will we know what level the bot is floating?

You can tell by looking on the screen;

If you are asking how to return to the dna what is the current buoyancy level, then use 'rdboy'.
If you need to figure out vertical position and return it to the DNA use 'ypos' aka 'depth'.

The button line is the robot needs to check both its rdboy and its depth to figure out the size of the sim.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:20:26 AM by Botsareus »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 11:44:29 AM »
if you are asking what will happen if there is no Y-Gravty:
The robot can move down screen until it reaches a wrap point and go back to the top and calculate the screen dimensions that way. Or, it can go down screen screen and hit the edge, use .edge command to figure out dimensions.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:59:35 AM by Botsareus »

Offline Tilthanseco

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 03:00:44 PM »
Lol, Yes it is better, I think.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 03:23:26 PM »
Don't worry guys, I'll keep submitting updates. Even though people don't really care unless they just see an opportunity to bust my balls.

Submitted version 2.45.02 almost one year ago, did I see a single Youtube video featuring the new version?  :cussing:

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 03:35:19 PM »
Even though people don't really care unless they just see an opportunity to bust my balls.
Aye, I'm currently saving up corrupted sims with different bugs. I plan to post a dozen of them all at once so I can show how much you suck. ;)
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 03:41:31 PM »
No problem, I am taking you seriously on this. Please post them. I bet 75% of them where old bugs that I had nothing to do with.  :wacko:

you suck.

That's nothing new, almost drowned for the same reason...  :wacko:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 03:52:55 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 04:02:18 PM »
I only had something weird going on with a sim a few days ago. I can't reproduce it, but I'll let you know when I discover how. The issue was that bots were ignoring some veggies, going through them as if they don't exist.

So, no I don't actually have a dozen bugs ready for posting. :P
Oh my god, who the hell cares.