Author Topic: Am I really Russian?  (Read 4846 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Am I really Russian?
« on: January 07, 2013, 08:14:59 PM »
It's silly that I have to bring this up, but:

I don't know if this is a tell or not, but I compiled this exact English representation of Russian letters two years ago mainly because I did not have a Russian keyboard:

Ya  Nae-ea  zzeea-nae-aaa-you  ea-ssee-llaa-ea  aa-tae-o  pe-o-tae-vae-ea-re-dddeea-eee-tae  mae-o-you  pe-re-o-vae-ddeea-vae-ssee-tae-Ь  eee-llaa-eee nae-ea-tae,  nae-o  ya-aaa  nae-aaa-pe-ea-ssee-aaa-llaa  ea-tae-uuu  tae-re-aaa-nae-ssee-llaa-ya-te-ssee-aa-you  Re-uuu-ssee-kkaae-eee-hhaeae  ba-uuu-kkaae-vae  ddeea-vaea-aaa  ggeea-o-ddeea-aaa  nae-aaa-zzeea-aaa-ddeea  pe-o-tae-mae-uuu-chea-tae-o  Ya  nae-ea  eee-mae-ea-llaa Re-uuu-ssee-kkaae-o-ggeea-o  kkaae-eee-ba-o-re-ddeea-aaa:

aaa
ba
vae
ggeea
ddeea
ea
yo
je
zzeea
eee
eeyy
kkaae
llaa
mae
nae
o
pe
re
ssee
tae
uuu
fe
hhaeae
tsa
chea
shea
sshea
Ъ = a sign which, placed after a consonant, indicates a hardened pronunciation
eeue
Ь = a sign which, placed after a consonant, indicates a softened pronunciation
aa
you
ya

Russian is a lost art people :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:20:36 PM by Botsareus »

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Am I really Russian?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 09:27:16 AM »
I have to say I like this to a degree, once you get used to it, it makes transliterated words easier to read than in some other approaches. Still, in this day and age, installing a Russian keyboard takes all of 5 seconds, and if you don't have admin privileges on your computer, then there are sites that will transform your translit into Russian letters. Anyone not typing Russian words in Russian is just not respecting their audience. But it's an interesting exercise, which may prove useful to some non-native speakers.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:41:11 AM »
thx, You are right. Although, I don't know where in Town I can buy a Russian keyboard. Next time I am at Bestbuy I'll look into it.

For now, If I am not lazy enough, I'll just write my own keyboard program  :P thx for the idea

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 11:35:53 AM »
I don't mean that you should have an actual physical keyboard with russian letters on it. I mean that you can install russian keyboard support and type blindly. It's really not that difficult to learn. Take one of those programs that teach typing, in a couple of weeks you'll be fluent enough to do short texts and then it's just practice. I've done this about 10 years ago, it's really like driving a bike or a car - once you learn it, it becomes automatic. In fact, I type better in Russian because I learned formally to type in that language, while my English-typing skills have been just learned by typing so my fingers are not set correctly for quick typing.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 12:57:20 PM »
I don't mean that you should have an actual physical keyboard with russian letters on it.

Я теперь понял.

Но я уже вчера напесал програмку чтобы писать Руские буквы. Она работает нормально. Я ok.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:19:52 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 06:44:07 AM »
Amusing and related anecdote:

At work our IT department is from Dublin Ireland, so if you let them touch your computer they'll log in with their Admin account which has Dublin, Ireland regional settings.  Which means that the keyboard gets interpreted as an Irish keyboard, and when you try to type things like # you'll get ? instead.  Makes it very annoying to try and log back in to your machine if you have any of those symbols in your password.

Okay, "amusing" is debatable.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 09:46:07 AM »
Yea, it was fun in school:

Hack the Admin privileges and change the keyboard language on a noob.  :)