Author Topic: HMMMMM??? Strange indeed  (Read 4552 times)

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
HMMMMM??? Strange indeed
« on: April 14, 2005, 03:48:59 PM »
Just found that V2.36.4 just keeps right on going after all the robots have died.

Instead of the little popup window, telling me that all robots have died, it just jumps keeps right on going sans robots.

Restarts still work OK though  :D
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
HMMMMM??? Strange indeed
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 03:59:49 PM »
In 2.36.4 my computer gets an overflow error before any bots are shown.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 06:22:55 PM by Numsgil »
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
HMMMMM??? Strange indeed
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 04:04:58 PM »
in 2,36,4 my cp gets overflow before any bots are shown

Oh crap!  :angry:  Not more problems

What are your settings and robots? You may have a screwed up DNA file.
and those who don't

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
HMMMMM??? Strange indeed
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 04:24:57 PM »
The problem is that veggies become fat bastards (Austin Powers ;) ) and then an overflow error pops up.  They become whales, super massive bastards who are good only for killing ;) (just kidding ;)).

Im using many different bots with the same veggie.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 06:24:30 PM by Numsgil »
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
HMMMMM??? Strange indeed
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 04:56:37 PM »
you need to cut down on the amount of energy you give them: the new version probably has that "energy/2 bug" fixed, so that if before you were giving them 20, now give them 10.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
HMMMMM??? Strange indeed
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 05:12:13 PM »
Actually I think it is the same as before. I haven't actually checked the code yet though.

I am currently running  the sim that you sent me yesterday Shvarz. I had to set the veggie feed rate to 65 to get them to slowly grow.

With that setting, the veggies grew gradually to about 430 then their population crashed. The predators reached about 1600 before they too started to die out. Right now they have around 800 left and the veggies have yet to recover.

(Note: these are Alga Grexa and not Alga Minimalis. Feeding Minimalis at this rate would definitely make "Fat Bastards" pretty quickly)

Actually I bet the problem is that you still have the feed rate set to 50,000 (as it will be in all your old settings files)
and those who don't

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
HMMMMM??? Strange indeed
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 05:15:44 PM »
I might try evolving Destinatus Preliator in this kind of sim.

I wonder if they would evolve to lose their body building system in favor of lightweight faster bots that could chase down the Grexas more efficiently
and those who don't

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
HMMMMM??? Strange indeed
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 05:26:41 PM »
I think you gave them too much, PY.  My friction is now up to 5.2 and I give them 57 energy/cycle - they grow and run just fine.

Also, I am not sure what version of Grexa you have - I started to pump up their running speed slowly.  Right now I have it at 13 in gene 2 and at 14 in gene 5.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
HMMMMM??? Strange indeed
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 06:07:12 PM »
I disabled the notification that all robots have died because sometimes you want to run simulations with just vegs.  Usually if you're serious about a simulation you have autorestart on anyway.  That was the thinking anyway.

Zelos, sounds exactly like you have your max veg population too high.  Anything above 2000 or something (I forget, I upped it for 2.36.4) will cause an overflow, or invalid form entry, or something like that.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
HMMMMM??? Strange indeed
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 01:12:47 AM »
I use the "deafult" settings and that happen, and they shouldnt get any nrg then

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
HMMMMM??? Strange indeed
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 01:59:54 AM »
Your default is probably left over from previous version.  So if it is a very old (a week?) version, then it will have the old value of energy for the whole field.  Now each veggie gets its own.  You need to change it in the options manually, otherwise each bot will get whatever the whole field used to get and that will crash the prog.  If you switched from one of the 2.36 versions to the latest ones, then you are still giving your veggies twice as much as it used to - there was a bug that gave veggies only half of what you specified in options.

Hope that clears it up for you.