Author Topic: Equilibrium  (Read 4304 times)

Offline Ammeh

• Queen of the Internets
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Equilibrium
« on: June 13, 2010, 01:19:01 PM »
I'm not really sure where my train of thought was going, but it occurred to me that an artificial limit on veg population would result in "cancerous" bots (bots that eat everything, reproduce massively, and then die off). Since DB automatically repopulates veggies when this happens, an equilibrium is never reached. It's just a cycle of wiping out and repopulating.

This can't promote a good "life" simulation, as a stable ecosystem is never reached.

I unno, I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but basically, I think pop limits on veg is bad.

>.>

DISCUSS

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Equilibrium
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 03:25:37 PM »
Seems to me this forum reached equilibrium until now...

anyways, if there's no repopulation, yo do get an equilibrium-it's called nothing. The best way to go is to have a really low threshold.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Equilibrium
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 03:21:09 AM »
Cancerous veggies die off of you set the energy replenishment proportional to body or body squared. Alga Minimalis will evolve a reproduction criterion based on body, not nrg and the genome will evolve means to be less vulnerable to a beakdown in this gene. No need for a pop limit on veggies then.

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
  • Computer Science Undergraduate (nerd)
    • View Profile
Equilibrium
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 01:23:41 PM »

So did I. It must be the IRC!

This can't promote a good "life" simulation, as a  stable ecosystem is never reached.

I do see where you are coming from Sammeh.

You would, to do it well, have to get an ecosystem working, and have a disabled pop, so you would be able to have it stable.

I do think it could be solved in DB3, as you would then you have chloroplasts(did I spell it right?) in each bot, so you could do a complete zero-bot simulation and hope you could get a whole ecosystem working. I hope this is how it will work in DB3.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Equilibrium
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 02:19:20 PM »
Quote from: Panda
I do think it could be solved in DB3, as you would then you have chloroplasts(did I spell it right?) in each bot, so you could do a complete zero-bot simulation and hope you could get a whole ecosystem working. I hope this is how it will work in DB3.

That's the goal, yeah.

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Equilibrium
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 03:09:13 PM »
Quote from: Panda

So did I. It must be the IRC!

This can't promote a good "life" simulation, as a  stable ecosystem is never reached.

I do see where you are coming from Sammeh.

You would, to do it well, have to get an ecosystem working, and have a disabled pop, so you would be able to have it stable.

It can be done in DB2:this thread describes my quest and its outcome. It is a bit of a read but I hope it provides some entertainment or suggestions.

Offline Ammeh

• Queen of the Internets
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Equilibrium
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 05:06:22 PM »
Quote from: ikke
It can be done in DB2:this thread describes my quest and its outcome. It is a bit of a read but I hope it provides some entertainment or suggestions.

Good read that, some food for thought...