Author Topic: Selecting Bots  (Read 4400 times)

Offline Trilobite

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Selecting Bots
« on: February 13, 2010, 03:27:25 PM »
Will bots be easier to select in future versions?

I always have an insane amount of trouble 'catching' bots... it really does feel like a game of cat and mouse. Even when I think I've clicked on it, I haven't. This is especially on small bots.

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Selecting Bots
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
Try pausing it and using zoom and right click.

Offline Trilobite

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Selecting Bots
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 03:12:14 AM »
Thanks, appreciated but it till doesn't solve the problem with the smallest ones.  The options such as viewing robot data are greyed out like when you haven't selected it properly, and I can't get the proper selection no matter how hard I click.

I try to click the white bit because that's the only way I can get the window to pop up at all, but as I said the options are always greyed out on the very smallest bots.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 03:13:51 AM by Trilobite »

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Selecting Bots
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 05:47:29 AM »
Are you sure they're not corpses... even size 1 bots can be opened and manipulated.
Also if you have to bring up the menu a lot and your bots are very small you can just change the code and make them stay larger while you're deubbing...

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Selecting Bots
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 01:57:12 PM »
I got an idea for future versions. You could have rts style selection and just click and drag your mouse over an area. It will then select one bot at random (or all the bots if thats even possible)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Selecting Bots
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 01:07:28 AM »
I could probably manage a click-and-drag selection easily enough.

The problem you might be having is that the viewport doesn't exactly correspond to the world.  Try "unlocking" the view.  That often fixes the problem (bad aspect ratio).

Offline Trilobite

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Selecting Bots
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 02:39:44 AM »
Certain they aren't corpses.

Click and drag had crossed my mind too, I think I remember even trying to do it without even thinking about it at one point.

I think that is the problem, about the viewpoint. I am frequently having trouble with the viewpoint getting messed up or way off to the side of the visible screen - sometimes it can't even be 'unlocked', if I get what you mean by unlocked? When you click and drag the screen until it centres itself properly? Or do you mean something else?

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Selecting Bots
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 09:32:51 AM »
Ya that happens to me to. I just try to keep it locked and not mess with it. But when ever you zoom it screws it up. Not a big deal though.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Selecting Bots
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 02:13:49 PM »
Quote from: Trilobite
Certain they aren't corpses.

Click and drag had crossed my mind too, I think I remember even trying to do it without even thinking about it at one point.

I think that is the problem, about the viewpoint. I am frequently having trouble with the viewpoint getting messed up or way off to the side of the visible screen - sometimes it can't even be 'unlocked', if I get what you mean by unlocked? When you click and drag the screen until it centres itself properly? Or do you mean something else?

There's a lock icon in the toolbar.  If you click it, it turns in to an unlock icon.  It basically is there to let you scroll beyond the bounds of the world.  But it has a nice side effect of fixing most graphics glitches.  If you totally get lost, you'll need to lock again and zoom in/out (just spam random combinations of those three buttons till you see the world again).