Author Topic: just a quick question  (Read 2917 times)

Offline multibotlover

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
just a quick question
« on: March 13, 2009, 07:56:51 PM »
in future versions of DarwinBots there is almost definitly going to be a subprogram that is devoted entirely to Multi Bots, and these bots are going to need a special food source to meet their needs. these plants should be very large, but will need some form of stability. here's my question; can robots tie to walls? if they can, then there should be a special dna command such as .tiewall or something like that. if they can't, then they should be able to. also, remember way back when in version 2.1 you could draw barriers by drawing a path then a wall appeared? well, we shold have that back, except you draw walls with a pencil tool and have an eraser tool to get rid of them.

just something to think about  

Offline Prsn828

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
just a quick question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 03:54:42 PM »
This is a very good point.
As of right now the coding for the physics of DB3 is just about to begin.
If not in the first milestone, I am sure that at some point many of these features may be included.

One thing to note is that it may or may not be reasonable to have a pencil tool.  This will depend mostly on how things are implemented.  For instance, right now there are several methods being considered to program the walls:

1. Simple polygons, nothing else.  The problem with this is that it discourages ant-bots.  Also, this would make a pencil tool hard to code.
2. Polygons with subtraction polygons.  This would be a good way to allow bots to "mine" or "eat" walls or objects.  Hard to say right now if this would support a pencil tool.
3. Polygons with grids.  Same as number 2 except that it would use a matrix to show where missing pieces are.  Even harder to say how this would work out, but it does seem more likely to have pencil support.

Of course, there are probably several things I am forgetting here, and Nums will probably point these out, but this is basically how things are turning out right now.
So, what will it be? Will you submit to my will, or must I bend reality to suit my needs?
Better answer before I do BOTH!

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
just a quick question
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 10:49:48 PM »
That's a pretty good explanation

One other possibility is using splines with control points to form fluid shapes.  But I'm not as sure about how to perform collision detection between normal shapes and splines.

Sticking to walls will probably be possible.  It isn't any extra work to code for sticking to walls vs. sticking to other bots.