Author Topic: Exporting Graphs and other questions  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Hal

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Exporting Graphs and other questions
« on: March 12, 2009, 03:56:26 PM »
Hi,
I am wondering how I would export the data Darwinbots captures to Excel for graphing. I can't seem to figure out how the database capture works.
Additionally, with some of the .sexrepro bots, I see these long arrows shooting out of bots, sometimes dragging the bots around. What are they? [attachment=1175:ScreenShot036.jpg]
There are also rings inside the bots. I suspect the white rings are nrg rings (energy until 32000?), but I can't determine what the others are.  

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 06:08:51 PM »
Well the white one is energy, I think theres a thin purple one for body, red is shell, yellow is poison, blue is venom, light blue is virus countdown... and I think waste is also light blue... and I can't remember wich color slime has... maybe green.

The V like shape is the bots "logo", the arrow coming out of the bot is a movement arrow, it means the bot is spending energy trying to move in that direction.
You'll also see ties at some point, wich is a connection between 2 bots. When bots reproduce you see a birth tie, but these can also be created and hardened to create multicellular organisms.

Theres a lot of information about the bots and what you can do with them on the Wiki page. And there are 3 league you can create a bot and compete in if you want. (This could also be a way of learning more about how the bots work)
You should probably start out making something for the F3 league then move to F2 or F1 when you want to try using more tools.

Theres also a god tutorial bot on the Wiki, and many of the bots with short names in the F3 league are considered tutorial bots. It's the same bot with 1-2 genes added for each step making it easy to tell wich genes do what and how big the difference is when running them against eachother. (Large complex behavior will often be overtaken by even the simplest of behaviors, so a single gene can make a huge difference. If you want to take positions in the F1 and F2 league you should try to keep your bot as simple as possible while improving it.)

Not sure how the graph data is saved and extracted, but I can imagine you might have to pick up the source and create your own procedure for saving the data in the right format (Unless ofcourse it's saved in a readable format)

Offline Shasta

• Administrator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 06:17:35 PM »
Quote from: Hal
Hi,
I am wondering how I would export the data Darwinbots captures to Excel for graphing. I can't seem to figure out how the database capture works.
Additionally, with some of the .sexrepro bots, I see these long arrows shooting out of bots, sometimes dragging the bots around. What are they? [attachment=1175:ScreenShot036.jpg]
There are also rings inside the bots. I suspect the white rings are nrg rings (energy until 32000?), but I can't determine what the others are.  
Hello and welcome to the forums! The long arrows are actually movement vectors, they can be turned off and on though the view menu in Darwinbots. The white rings indeed are energy, what all the colors you'll see mean is listed here. I've never really played with the database logging (Under Recording Options in the sim settings) but from what I just tested, you just need to open it with the resulting text file with Excel or OO Calc and say the fields are on line 1, comma seperated. For Calc at least, I had to delete the genes in the text file to get a usable database.

Edit: Looks like Moonfisher beat me to it, oh well
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 06:19:47 PM by Shasta »

Offline Hal

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 08:09:09 PM »
Thanks! That helps a lot.