Author Topic: Visual Studio 2008  (Read 6214 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Visual Studio 2008
« on: December 02, 2008, 07:09:38 PM »
I've upgraded to Visual Studio 2008, just to let everyone know.  Mostly I did it to access the built in unit testing capabilities in 2008 (NUnit was giving me a headache).  Anyone wanting to contribute will need 2008 now instead of 2005.  If you go to the wiki, there are instructions at the top for getting the free version.

I'm not sure how XNA and .NET versions interact, so I may or may not upgrade the projects to use .NET 3 or 3.5.

Offline peterb

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Visual Studio 2008
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 07:27:39 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
I've upgraded to Visual Studio 2008, just to let everyone know.  Mostly I did it to access the built in unit testing capabilities in 2008 (NUnit was giving me a headache).  Anyone wanting to contribute will need 2008 now instead of 2005.  If you go to the wiki, there are instructions at the top for getting the free version.

I'm not sure how XNA and .NET versions interact, so I may or may not upgrade the projects to use .NET 3 or 3.5.

ehm interact like Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Net Namespace ?

mark the note on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mi...mework.net.aspx  (so internet connectivity might not work well)
here another link http://xna101.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!...try?_c=BlogPart

And maybe this is the anwer your looking for ? http://www.nickontech.com/2008/10/xna-30-and-net-versions/

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Visual Studio 2008
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 07:44:31 PM »
I'm mostly concerned about deployment to the XBOX360.  I'm not worrying about it too much right now, but I'm trying to keep an eye on it.  The XBox has a lot of horse power, more so than the rest of my computers put together.  I know, for instance, that the XBOX doesn't implement all of the .NET framework.  So I'm not sure if it allows .NET 3.5, or if it limits it to 2.0 for whatever reason.

Offline Shasta

• Administrator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Visual Studio 2008
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 09:52:13 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
I'm mostly concerned about deployment to the XBOX360.  I'm not worrying about it too much right now, but I'm trying to keep an eye on it.  The XBox has a lot of horse power, more so than the rest of my computers put together.  I know, for instance, that the XBOX doesn't implement all of the .NET framework.  So I'm not sure if it allows .NET 3.5, or if it limits it to 2.0 for whatever reason.

It implements the .Net Compact Framework here is a list of what is included. Basically it says System.Windows.Forms, and System.Web are not included, maybe some other items, just gave it a quick skim. Other than that from what I have read, basically if its C# it will run on the xbox 360 w/ XNA.  So no C++ physics libraries or particle engines with wrappers   so speed may become a definite issue (not like it already isnt for large sims).

Also:
Can I use the new C# 3.0 features with XNA Game Studio 3.0?
The new C# 3.0 language features are fully available for all platforms, with the exception of LINQ Expression Trees, which are available only on Windows.

Edit: Included information that is actually correct
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 10:05:40 PM by Shasta »

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Visual Studio 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 05:05:22 PM »
XBOX360 allows .NET 3.5, or if it limits it to 2.0 for whatever reason.

So the bottom line is does XBOX360 allow .net 3.5? (I am too lazy to search through all that rubble in the clicky)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:06:09 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Visual Studio 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 07:52:48 PM »
I think so.  It's a streamlined version where some things aren't allowed.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Visual Studio 2008
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 03:01:29 PM »
Ok, so you are saying I can safely get .net framework 3.5, right?

Also, I have been thinking: It will be hard to set up all the settings with an XBOX controller (without a keyboard/mouse) so is there any way to transfer a simulation/settings file to the XBOX and make the XBOX version only run pre-setup simulation/settings files?

And the other problem is: How do you transfer the resulting robot files back to the computer?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:24:22 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Prsn828

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Visual Studio 2008
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 03:37:26 PM »
Quote from: Botsareus
Ok, so you are saying I can safely get .net framework 3.5, right?

Also, I have been thinking: It will be hard to set up all the settings with an XBOX controller (without a keyboard/mouse) so is there any way to transfer a simulation/settings file to the XBOX and make the XBOX version only run pre-setup simulation/settings files?

And the other problem is: How do you transfer the resulting robot files back to the computer?

It is definitely possible to use the analog on the controller to control an on-screen mouse, so I doubt it is really a problem, just kinda weird feeling at first.

I know the x-box 360 can link directly to a computer to access files, so I am pretty sure it can also work the other way around.  If nothing else, there could be a site that the x-box uploads sims to, and you could download those from a computer.
So, what will it be? Will you submit to my will, or must I bend reality to suit my needs?
Better answer before I do BOTH!

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Visual Studio 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 05:39:15 PM »
there could be a site that the x-box uploads sims

That did cross my mind but: Don't you have to pay a monthly fee for using the x-box with the Internet?

Offline Prsn828

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Visual Studio 2008
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 05:47:49 PM »
Not for a silver membership.
Silver is free, but you can't do a lot of things. I am pretty sure you can download files though.
So, what will it be? Will you submit to my will, or must I bend reality to suit my needs?

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Visual Studio 2008
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 05:58:08 PM »
I am pretty sure you can download files though

Yea, but the whole point here was that we can "upload" files: (for free?)

there could be a site that the x-box uploads sims to

Offline Prsn828

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Visual Studio 2008
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 06:04:46 PM »
I imagine that it would be free to upload to the Darwinbots FTP, but at the moment X-Box 360 compatibility isn't one of the primary concerns.  Right now we are more interested in the way it will work and things of that sort.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Visual Studio 2008
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 06:08:25 PM »
 I know. I am just dreaming. I probably won't get an x-box for at least 4 more years or so. And by that time they might as well release an x-box 720...

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Visual Studio 2008
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 10:42:27 PM »
Really I have no idea how it'll work.  We can't use GUI elements like winforms because that's one of the things that the 360 doesn't implement.  I have no idea what sort of internet access the 360 provides.  I have no idea what sort of costs will be involved in running it (an XNA creator's license maybe?  That's $100/year).  And I have no idea how to bring bots to and from the 360.

It's just extremely tempting since the 360 has so much raw processing power.  So at some point I'll figure something out.

And then next XBOX version will definitly be the XBOX 4 Pi.  
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:43:40 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Shasta

• Administrator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Visual Studio 2008
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 10:52:03 PM »
As far as connecting to a FTP or really any web server, it is impossible.