Author Topic: 3D!  (Read 7460 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
3D!
« on: April 06, 2005, 08:28:25 PM »
I've spent some time figuring out OpenGL for Visual Basic.  I feel confident that I can add a '3D' mode with camera controls and everything.  The bots then would no longer be 2D creatures.  Alot of possibilites would be opened up.

Such a mode probably wouldn't run very quickly compared to the 2D version.  But I think it would run decently.  I would probably need to implement some more advanced trees and things to keep collision calculation fast.

I imagine that everyone would like to play around in such a mode if it were available, so I guess the real question is what priority should this have?  This is alot of programming.  Alot of the physics would need to be changed to handle 3D where applicable.  Does this come before mebo?

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
3D!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 10:07:00 PM »
This is such a huge change, I don't even know what to say... :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

Never thought about this.  First thought - bad idea.  Or a good idea but for a whole different program :)

Dunno....
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
3D!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 10:10:05 PM »
I don't imagine it would replace 2D mode.  It would just be a side mode that you could play with.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
3D!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 11:07:59 PM »
Could be a lot of fun but I wouldn't assign it a very high priority  :unsure:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline AZPaul

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
3D!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 11:56:17 PM »
I imagine that everyone would like to play around in such a mode if it were available, so I guess the real question is what priority should this have?

How's 'bout after .sexrepro?

:rolleyes:

-P

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
3D!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 12:52:49 AM »
how about mebo then this
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Light

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
3D!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 08:58:00 AM »
I think it should be fairly low priority at the moment, work on implementing the other stuff first

Offline k0zm0

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
3D!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 01:27:14 PM »
So instead of x and y, we would get z axis too?
xpos, ypos, zpos, 3d angle, new eyes or changed eyes, complex movement?
I'm for it, but if you think making 3d only in standard 2d movement, than I say it's crap...
I'm not crazy and I'm not normal.
If I were normal, I would go crazy.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
3D!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 01:36:54 PM »
I agree kozmo, its shall be xyz movements if we have 3D, sadly we cant have 4D :( why didnt we get a universe whit 4Ds :( of course I know it :D
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
3D!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 01:39:06 PM »
Actually, it would be pretty awesome to have 3d shapes instead of circles.  Maybe even have different skins - hairy, scaly, naked, scilia sticking out, little eyes rotating - would be funny as hell :)  And it would be a great advertisement tool

Of course, for myself I would turn these off, but I would turn them on to make screenshots or to show it to my buddies.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline MightyPenguin

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
3D!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 03:43:27 PM »
Leave it until after you've run out of worthwhile ideas to implement.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
3D!
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 03:54:16 PM »
zelos I have done 4D before use 4th-D as w ,

So if w is close its white , if w is far it is black. Now If you want w to be hard to see if its far away , like the z axis , then make your background black, and put a curve that favors darker shades.

There are other ways to do 4D even 5D , I cant think of them now.
The Problem is our brain maps incoming light as semi-2D , and we only see 3 colors. And that our brain only can handle 2D and 3 colors.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 03:57:49 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
3D!
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 07:14:57 PM »
Technically it would be 4D since it has time.  If you mean 4 spatial dimensions, it wouldn't be hard to do mathematically, but Bots is right when he says it's very hard to represent on a 2D screen.

You're all right about the xyz axis.  Alot of new sysvars would be needed to get enough information for the bots to even figure out what the heck to do.  The graphics themselves would be minor, it's all the new sysvars that would take time.

MP, I dom't think we'd ever run out of worthwhile ideas.  At some point we have to buckle down and do all the inane ones.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
3D!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 12:32:53 AM »
the mathematic aint hard, but I mean to visual it so we can actual see the bots moveinto the 4th D. that aint possible

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
3D!
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 12:40:02 AM »
I wouldn't say impossible.  It would just take some imagination.