Author Topic: Dramatic program size increase  (Read 3467 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Dramatic program size increase
« on: May 17, 2008, 05:06:34 PM »
Just noticed this, and I'm curious what the issue is.  Somewhere between version 2.43j and 2.43v, the program jumped from 1900KB to 9300KB.  It's stayed at the 9300KB level ever since.  What got added that bloated the size of the exe so much?

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 08:02:01 PM »
Unless a huge change has been implemented, which I doubt, it most likely is something like a duplicate file or something along those lines.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Trafalgar

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 10:11:05 PM »
Quote from: bacillus
Unless a huge change has been implemented, which I doubt, it most likely is something like a duplicate file or something along those lines.

Or if it's being compiled as a debug build (is it vb 6? I don't even know if vb 6 has such a thing).

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 01:08:35 AM »
Would that make the file 5 times as big?
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Commander Keen

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 04:10:32 AM »
Possibly optimisation for speed not size, or adding the capability of a standalone exe which extracts all the db settings files...

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 02:59:06 PM »
There's a bunch of large image files that are part of the build now - part of a private project that is on hold at the moment.  If you press the little plant button on the toolbar while running a small sim, you will see where I was going before you crash - before I got side tracked onto other things.  I'll probably remove the bulk of the stuff for the next drop.
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 04:14:55 PM »
Ah yes, I remember when you added that now.  Are they just bmps, or are they compressed at all?