Author Topic: Communal Bot League  (Read 4452 times)

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Communal Bot League
« on: April 27, 2008, 06:21:25 PM »
Why not have a league for communal bots?
The only specifications would be that a bot has to show obvious pack hunting/colony behavior eg. communicate with others of its own species to aid conspecs. This would be a good place for bots like Spiral that are somewhere inbetween multibot and single bot.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 06:22:20 PM by bacillus »
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Communal Bot League
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 11:11:11 PM »
Perhaps requirements include a defensive behavior, meaning it only attacks if attacked or threatened. Somewhere I've managed to make this for a conspec defense mechanism, I'll see if I cant dig it up as an example. Communal means symbiotic, there has to be eqaul trade among the species if they tie or info shoot. Also, what is a communal bot, is it a multibot or a single bot?

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Communal Bot League
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 11:35:12 PM »
Quote from: bacillus
Why not?  Because it takes someone with the time, energy and dedication to run and manage it.  If you feel so inclined, by all means, please do so.  There is nothing I know of that prevents you running and managing your own league with your own rules on the current code base.  Fixes to any bugs you find that prevent it will be given high priority with a quick turn around time.
Many beers....

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Communal Bot League
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 12:57:10 AM »
Quote from: EricL
Quote from: bacillus
Why not?  Because it takes someone with the time, energy and dedication to run and manage it.  If you feel so inclined, by all means, please do so.  There is nothing I know of that prevents you running and managing your own league with your own rules on the current code base.  Fixes to any bugs you find that prevent it will be given high priority with a quick turn around time.

how is this done?

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Communal Bot League
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 01:19:51 AM »
I'm pretty sure the code only enforces specific environmental conditions for the F1 league.  Choose any other, like MB, then set up your own league file and directory with the txt files for the bots and run it like you would F1 only with whatever environment settings you like.  The code isn't going to check that you only have multibots in there for example.   I really haven't tested this mind you, but I think it works.  If you were really up for owning this, I could add a custom league buttom or even hard code certain settings for a specific league type....
Many beers....

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Communal Bot League
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:02:06 AM »
ANY ideas bacill?

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Communal Bot League
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 09:42:18 PM »
I wasn't actually thinking in the direction of symbiosis, more of one species acting as a larger social unit, like a pack of wolves or a hive of bees.
 I'll finish the F1 league first, simultaneously trying to find the ideal settings for such a sim. At the moment I'm thinking F1 conditions except huge maps with about 1000 veggies, max collision elasticity and medium to high friction. The minimum requirement would be for one bot to alert others if there is food/foes in the vicinity.
I'll start digging up some bots that would fall in this category. I've seen plenty of ant-like bots, Spiral, some fish-scool bots, and there's bound to be more. As long as there is less than 10 bots that fall into this category, I might even run it at the same time.
I might even use the best or most interesting bots to make a really good environmental simulation.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:47:11 PM by bacillus »
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Communal Bot League
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 10:03:15 PM »
Ok, downloaded 10 bots in total.
Here are the settings I will use:
Field Size: 96000x72000
Max no. of veggies: 1000
Repopulation threshold: 400
Veggies per repopulation event: 250
Solid Resistance:Metal
Max. Collision Elasticity
No mutations

Everything else will be the same as F1.
- Carl Sagan

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Communal Bot League
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 10:10:38 PM »
What is the bots list? And what are the parameters for their spawn points in the sim?

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Communal Bot League
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 10:32:31 PM »
Don't worry, the league was so small I was able to finish it in record time.Starting points were totally random. I did not use League function (never do   ), just overseeing progress. Here are the results in reverse order:

9-Ant-Bot 4(PY)
 8-Gangbot(K0zm0)
 7-Black Ant(Eight)
 6-CFB(K0zm0)
 5-Antbotv1.1(Bacillus)
 4-SWARM(Elite)
 3-Detonator(Bacillus)
 2-AFamily 2(?)
 1-Spiral(Abyaly)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 10:34:34 PM by bacillus »
- Carl Sagan

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Communal Bot League
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 12:08:19 AM »
Could you add the Chaotic Swarmer since its a communal bot. Never tried it under your conditions, always use pond mode for all designs, not sure how they will work out.