Author Topic: Evolution sims  (Read 7853 times)

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Evolution sims
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 03:39:32 PM »
Hey TL, how exactly did you evolve that spider-bot?

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Evolution sims
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 04:52:50 PM »
It was Macadamia that evolved that one I think. I just got the one building chains, sometimes looking more like colonies with smaller bots in the middle and larger bots around it for instance.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Evolution sims
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 01:03:52 PM »
Anybody else make a really long-lasting evosim? I'm thinking of doing something like this: http://www.stauffercom.com/alife/  . Any other neat evolved organisms? Also, maca, how did you evolve the spiderbot?

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Evolution sims
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2008, 06:52:48 AM »
I've only run 1 mil cycles on my evo sim, but it does have some interesting behaviors in it, I ran a large field with low food with a neural network like structure as a base. The base behavior was very poor and even though I started out with a lot of food it could barely survive
But the evolved species are doing quite well now, over 1100 bots in a size 13 field with 25 alge at all times, the base would never have survived there.
Anyway 2 interesting things happened :
1. The bots rarely kill the alge they find, they knock it around a litle and shoot in other directions half the time, and when they get big and their shots increase in strenght they create a large child and send it off while leaving the small parent with the alge. (Since the small bot is a way of making the alge last longer)
2. They use reproduction as a defence mechanism. It also makes shell but that behavor would seem like an obvious response. Never considered that reproducing could be a good way to escape from attacks. It causes a lot of confusion, and if you where fighting over an alge odds are good one of the children will stay with the alge while the rest lure the oponent away.

I also think I saw a bot with a hint of edgescraping behavior, jumping back and forth along the top toroidal border. Probably because the alge often ended up near borders where the bots have a hard time feeding on them.

Offline Peksa

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Evolution sims
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 06:59:30 PM »
Evo sims are much easier to run than a while ago becouse of the great performance increases.

I've got an evosim with 2,9M cycles. The bot's started as Animal Minimalis modified to sexually reproduce without conditions and move randomly. Veggies used to be C. Circumgirans with shooting gene removed and body management added, but I've edited them since. At the moment they randomly use 3 different kinds of poison, turn away from shooting and move almost straight forward. It's a largish (size 12), non-toroidal map with some shapes in one corner. The only costs are ageing costs that increase very slowly after 10 kc and high body costs, 16 nrg/c/kBodypoint. With 1000 cycle days and nights, the costs take heavy toll on veggies, but they manage and would survive overnight if bots would let them. Also, I've altered mutation rates to slightly favor DNA insertion rather than clearly favor deletion. To top it off, I set mutations at 0.25. Oh, and there's slowly decaying corpses in there too.

It's suprising how well they adapt and how little they break. Of course, at start mutations broke down everything that wasn't necessary, but a bit suprisingly maintained basicly the same behaviour. Whole population learned to not to shoot shapes in matter of tens of thousands of cycles and actually stayed at certain distance from them after a couple hundred thousand cycles. The latter broke down though after introducing harder-to-eat-and-poison-using veggies that mess with bots' conspec recoginition. Bots seem to hunt in "packs". When a veggie pops in, bots chase it or the bot's chasing it (any moving bots really) and when the veggie turns and tries to lose the bots, some of the bots usually catch a sight of it and start chasing it and other bots start chasing the chaser or chaser of chaser etc.

All this comes from simply optimizing simple DNA and changing a BP here and another there. Average mutations are at 200 at the moment. There's half a dozen stores that are really hard to decipher, but I'm fairly certain that they don't do anything. Because of the sexual reproduction and low mutation rates, I've actually seen average mutations get lower with time a few times.

Another thing I've noticed is that species diversity to population rate is constantly around 0.4, when in sims with asexual reproduction it is much lower, 0.3 or 0.2. That's not really that suprising, but it's still nice to see that .sexrepro makes a real difference.

As I've lost hope to have a stable veggie-bot cycle with co-evolution in this sim, I'm concentrating on giving bots more diversified enviroment. I'll make veggies tougher and repop them more rarely and give them different behaviours to choose from, decrease corpse decay rate, maybe add some more shapes and anything else I can think of.

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Evolution sims
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 04:23:58 PM »
Quote from: Moonfisher
...I ran a large field with low food with a neural network like structure as a base. ...

A Neural net? Cool. Could it actually learn? Also, how did you get mutations to only affect the neural net's weights, instead of modifying instructions and turning your A.N.N (artificial neural net) into gloop?

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Evolution sims
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 01:42:37 PM »
What I mean is like in this thread: http://www.darwinbots.com/Forum/index.php?...ic=2677&hl=

Did you get it to work?

Also, has anybody else made an interesting evosim?