Author Topic: Changes 2.43.1d - 2.43.1L  (Read 7300 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Changes 2.43.1d - 2.43.1L
« on: March 25, 2008, 11:29:32 AM »
This topic is just a place for me to keep track of the changes I make from one version to another, in this case from 2.43.1d to 2.43.2. It is not the complete list of stuff in the next drop (yet) just the stuff I have completed to date. I will edit this post as I complete changes and start a new topic for each new release.

If there is a link to an interim release attached to this topic, it is a stable buddy drop which you are encouraged to try. Such 'between release' exes will have letters following the release version e.g. 2.43.1e.

If you have feature requests or bug reports for this version, please report those as separate topics in the Bug Reports forum and be sure to include the specifc version, a complete description of the behaviour and how it differs from what you expect and if possible, an attached sim file.

1) Shell sysvar was not being updated correctly due to shot impacts
2) Console inputs were not being sanatized correctly.  Values over 32000 could crash sim.
3) .danlen was not being set correctly during the first cycle of life
4) Address strange shooting problem with 0 nrg shots
5) User now prompted to start Internet Mode when restarting lastexit.sim
6) Increased number of in/out sysvar pairs to 10.
7) Added ability to run sims with very large fields.
8) .sx velocity vector was not being displayed correctly.
9) Tweaks to interent mode connectivity
10) Bot collisions now update refvars (when nothing in the focus eye)

2.43.1e Buddy Drop Download

11) New sysvars .tin1 - .tin10 and .tout1 - .tout10.  These work just like the in/out sysvar pairs but operate on tied bots.  They are essentially new trefvars.  See this topic.
12) Finially got the buckets code operational and tested sufficiently to enable it for vision.  This should provide a massive performance improvement (like 2X or more) particularly for larger, sparser sims.
13) Addressed a bug with drawing bot innards.  Bot innards are now displayed when the bot radius is greater than 1/500th the screen width.  It was 1/200th.
14) Addressed several overflow issues with larger fields.
15) League dialogs now no longer steal the focus after every round.
16) Addressed an overflow bug that occurs when setting .sexrepro on the last cycle of fertilization.

2.43.1f Buddy Drop Download

17) Addressed a long standing problem with the Guass routine which could result in tight-loop hangs when the standard deviation on the mutation probability for a bot's point mutations mutates to a very tiny value.
18) Changed the underlying memory locations asscoiated with the in/out and tin/tout pairs so that they are consecutive and both start on a multiple of 10.
19) Addressed a bug in the buckets code which could result in bots being invisible along the top or left edge of the field.
20) Enabled the buckets code for bot-bot collisions.  Results in improved performance.
21) Addressing a tight loop hang in the Poitn Mutations code.
22) Added protection logic to Gauss() and PointMutWhereandWhen().  Limits the stddev for point mutations to 1.
23) The nrg delta displayed at the bottom of the screen now correctly shows the nrg delta cycle to cycle.

2.43.1g Buddy Drop Download

24) Inadvertly disabled point mutations in previous version.  Re-enabled them here.
25) Address several crashing issues with resizing fields and buckets.

2.43.1h Buddy Drop Download

26) 0 length bot files in inbound directory for the internet mode teleporter are now deleted.
27) Several fixes to insertion mutations.  They were bascially broken for lengths greater than 1
28) Auto-save intervals up to 10000 minutes now suported.  Protection logic added to prevent crashes on out of range values.
29) Serious bucket issue addressed where bots could get added to buckets multiple times in some cases such as veggy repopulation.
30) Internet mode teleporter properties dialog now prevented from opening.
31) Added protection logic for teleporter entry fields to prevent out of range crashes.

2.43.1i Buddy Drop Download

32) Addressed problems with .fixang and .fixlen. There was duplicate code in two different areas each trying to apply the values differently, resulting in unpredictable behaviour such as tie angle occsilations.
33)  Even the stiffest tie was still very springy, so I increasd the range of values that matter on .stifftie to 1-100 from 1-40 (essentially adding the ability to specify higher degrees of tie stiffness than before - values 1-40 equate to the same stiffness as before, values 41-100 equate to greater stiffness) and now MOD positive values to spread mutation probabiltiy equally across the range instead of pegging anythign above the max and the max stiffness (as values > 40 did before). All negative values equate to the minimal tie stiffness of 1. A 0 value does not change anything as before - hardened ties remain at whatever stiffness they are at.
34) I made the changes to .fixang to allow bots the option to specify that the tie angle should rotate freely by storing a negative number.
35) I also fixed some bugs with trefvars not going away in certain cases when ties break as well as erasing the trefvars when .readtie is non-zero but invalid. This lets bot check if ties for which they know the tie port still exist or not.
36) The trefdir sysvars were not being populated.
37) Tie length included bot radii when read thoruhg .tielen
38) .trefaim was in radians, not DB turn units.
39) Fertilzed was getting set to 0 in cases where reproduction was unsucessful.
40) .tin values no zero when tie disappears.
41) *.poison and *.venom were being mistakenly zeroed out when the refvars were erased.

2.43.1j Buddy Drop Download

42) Had a problem with 41 above.  Should be fixed for real this time.
43) Addressed a int-> long issue with loading long running evo sims with lots of mutation details.
44) Plugged a free waste problem in feedveg2 where veggies were getting waste/2 nrg from waste but the waste was not being zeroed.  Was only being reduced by waste/2.  Resulted in free nrg in veggie sims...
45) The rob array now sizes dynamcially.  This effectivly eliminates the 10k limit on bots in a sim as well as reducing the working set for smaller sims.   Should help performance on computers with smaller amounts of RAM.
46) The number of private vars is now 1000.

2.43.1k Buddy Drop Download

47) Addressed serious free nrg bug w.r.t. waste and posion shots.  Now whiel producing poison produces waste, shooting it does not.
48) Addressed typo bug where .tiepres could revert to an incorrect tie port in cases where bots have multipel ties.

2.43.1L Buddy Drop Download
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 04:56:51 PM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
Bump.

2.43.1f Buddy Drop Download

This release contains a very significant performance improvement.  It was Nums I think who began the implimentation of this, but it was never completed or enabaled as far I know.  I took the concept, re-worked it considerably and now have (finially) got bot buckets working and tested sufficiently to enable it for vision.  It results in very significant performance gains.  For larger, sparser sims I have seen cycles/sec more than triple when compared to the same sim running 2.43.1e.  This is by far the largest, most significant performance change made to the the code in the past 2 years.  Please be on the look out for vision wierdnesses.  I have tested this rather extensivly, but it is possible that bots may not see each other in certain circumstances (such when near the field edge).

What's more, we can expect further performance improvements from this down the road.   Future releases will enable it for other areas such as bot-shot collisions, bot-shape collisions, bot-bot collisions, bot-shape vision and bot-field edge collsion detection.   Stay tuned...

Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 10:28:02 PM »
Wow, I had totally forgotten about that.  I gave up in frustration half way through (that's about when I decided that C++ was the way to go).  Kudos on getting it working.

Actually, now that I think of it, the C++ version had buckets working for vision.  I used it as a final project in an algorithms course at school.  So this is well overdue.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 10:24:18 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Shasta

• Administrator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 11:07:37 PM »
I'm not sure if this is just me, but I get a Page Not Found error on that link.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 11:11:59 PM »
Quote from: Shasta
I'm not sure if this is just me, but I get a Page Not Found error on that link.
Whoops.  Sorry.  Typo.  All fixed now.
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 11:20:38 PM »
Did you do two releases for f?  I see one in your top post and in the one after.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 11:27:59 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
Did you do two releases for f?  I see one in your top post and in the one after.
They should be the same.  I always put the link in the top post as I edit it and then duplicate it in the bump post so it's easy when the topic gets long.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:30:57 PM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 11:53:38 PM »
Oh, heh I was expecting the bucket thing to be somewhere other than the middle of the changelist.  My mistake

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 12:22:54 AM »
Quote from: EricL
11) New sysvars .tin1 - .tin10 and .tout1 - .tout10.  These work just like the in/out sysvar pairs but operate on tied bots.  They are essentially new trefvars.
Could someone please update the wiki site sometime?
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 12:56:14 AM »
Quote from: bacillus
Could someone please update the wiki site sometime?
Be my guest.   See this topic.
Many beers....

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 03:06:49 PM »
Bump.

2.43.1g Buddy Drop Download

More perf improvements.  It's pretty exciting to see how fast large sims run now, particularly on larger fields...
Many beers....

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 03:49:51 PM »
Many beers....

Offline rsucoop

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 02:14:39 PM »
do all of them need to be downloaded? or just the latest?

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 02:17:06 PM »
Only the latest. Ditch the others!  
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 11:27:39 AM »
2.43.1i Buddy Drop Download

Importart changes to insertion mutations and bucket logic.

Many beers....