Author Topic: Bringing back public organism sharing  (Read 11616 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bringing back public organism sharing
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2008, 10:19:52 AM »
OK, let me try a practical example:

The following are active users whos bots are between 0 worse to 10 best, there are 10 users.
[1],[2],[3],[4],[5],[6],[7],[2],[9],[10]

The ftp in the example above is limited to 20 therefor at the first 2 runs it is equal to:
{1},{2},{3},{4},{5},{6},{7},{2},{9},{10},{1},{2},{3},{4},{5},{6},{7},{2},{9},{10
}

Now since this is the limit, the only way the values will go is up:
{1},{10},{6},{4},{10},{6},{7},{10},{9},{10},{1},{10},{6},{4},{10},{6},{7},{10},{
9},{10}

But what if the limit is bigger then 20? Here is what happens:
{1},{2},{3},{4},{5},{6},{7},{2},{9},{10},{1},{2},{3},{4},{5},{6},{7},{2},{9},{10
},{1},{10},{3},{4},{5},{6},{7},{10},{9},{10},{1},{10},{3},{4},{5},{6},{7},{10},{
},{10},{1},{10},{3},{4},{9},{6},{7},{10},{9},{10},{1},{10},{3},{4},{9},{6},{7},{
0},{9},{10}

The probability of downloading a better robot greatly diminishes the more times worse robots are added to the ftp.

Atleast you guys can add it as an option, call it "tighter competition mode"
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 10:32:23 AM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2008, 01:06:32 PM »
Again, it's not an issue with good and bad bots.  It's an issue with being outnumbered 1000 to 1.  The ftp could be filled with absolutely God-like bots, but they still might not be able to take over your sim because your bots number in the thousands.  That's why changeovers for who controls IM are usually so infrequent.  But when they do happen, they tend to be rather rapid, since if a species can take over one sim, they can usually take over every sim.

So in that way it models a succession event, like in real life, so it's kind of neat
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 01:07:07 PM by Numsgil »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2008, 01:22:58 PM »
There's also a cascade effect.  The more sims you can take over, the greater your average incoming rate will be into thr sims you haven't.  Seasnake 1.3 just took over EricL2 from Spinner 1.5.  It had been unable to do so for days, until it recently took over Trafalger's much smaller sim.  After that, it's incoming rate into EricL2 gave it sufficient numbers per unit time to beat Spinner on it's own turf.
Many beers....

Offline Trafalgar

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2008, 03:54:41 PM »
My sim's been getting restarted fairly often too, though (to try new tactics for veggies), which, at the last restart, made for easy conquering ground for seasnake - I started it with only veggies.

What I was working on last, and what I started the sim with that time, was alga pair 1.1.1, which has two tied veggie bots which orbit their center point (usually). They also break attempts to tie to them, and un-set fixpos. They had the alga antiviral code in them, but were still getting taken over by seasnake 1.3 until I made them commit apoptosis when fertilized (in version 1.1.1). Unfortunately, that meant that they all got rapidly wiped out when seasnake invaded - and they weren't respawned because seasnake brought in its own zombie veggies.

(The 1.1 version didn't get wiped out - if you consider them all having had their DNA replaced by seasnake's as not getting wiped out. At least, I *assume* they all got zombified, since I can't see into other sims )

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2008, 03:10:58 AM »
Well, if a bot has no competition on a simulation, you can assume the user has intentionally left his or her sim running for the sake of importing bots from IM. If the user has a mass of evil bots swarming the simulation, chances are he/she will close it down and start over again, taking the bots with them.
 Probability has not much to do with bad bots swarming; a good bot with low chance of being teleported will have as good a chance at successful colonization as bad bots with a high teleport probability.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2008, 01:25:35 PM »
Again, it's not an issue with good and bad bots. It's an issue with being outnumbered 1000 to 1.

I disagree: I believe that if you have 1000 C_Filines on the screen and you insert TheOne in there it will make crushed meat out of the C_Filines...
The less there are other bots available for download the more chances it can hit TheOne
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:27:57 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2008, 01:33:51 PM »
a good bot with low chance of being teleported will have as good a chance at successful colonization as bad bots with a high teleport probability.

Now that sounds right... I can see the point...

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2008, 12:48:57 AM »
Once again, if you didn't want a bot there, you'd delete it or start again. If you don't want your simulation to be spoiled by others, turn IM off.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan