Author Topic: 2.43y performance drop OPEN (NEED REPRO)  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Jarbon

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
2.43y performance drop OPEN (NEED REPRO)
« on: January 03, 2008, 06:26:45 PM »
I've recently downloaded version 2.43y. I've noticed a large performance hit. Simulations running in version 2.43y go 2-3 times slower than version 2.43v. I've tested other versions including version 2.43x to see if they had the performance hit too but they do not. I've tested different bots and have tested bots using different simulation settings and the problem still persists. Why is this? Has there been additional debugging code added that I am not aware of?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 01:56:38 PM by EricL »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 07:41:25 PM »
There shouldn't be a noticable perf difference between x and y.  The new vision code lets bots see a little further in y then they did in previous versions (I.e. they see the edge of fat bots, not their centers and so it's possible a few bots that were out of range in x and now in range in y and that is impacting perf a little) but I would not expect this to be noticible much less 2-3X slower.  I do not see any perf difference myself though it is possible I screwed something up that is specifc to your environment.  

Your using the same exact sim starting from the same cycle in both versions to test, yes?  Could you post your sim so that I may investigate?  Thanks.

Oh, and welcome aboard.
Many beers....

Offline Jarbon

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 10:11:01 PM »
Heres the sim. The performance difference seems to be higher the smaller the sim area I use. Very large sims don't seem to have any difference in performance but a minimal sized sim can have nearly 4x the performance hit from 2.43x. I also had the energy/body slider set at 10 but forgot to change that back after testing. Otherwise everything is the same
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 10:25:08 PM by Jarbon »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 01:56:13 PM »
Can you please also post the bot txt files for this sim?  Thanks.
Many beers....

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 02:03:02 PM »
FYI, I've tested several other sims and can see no perf issue.  Smaller sims appear to run faster since you see a lot more movement given the small field but comparing cycles/sec shows they in fact do not.

I'll leave this open a while longer since I would like to test the specific sim, but I need that bot file.
Many beers....

Offline Jarbon

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 11:34:47 PM »
Here are the bots. All my sims are done with graphics disabled for the speed boost unless I'm observing the bots behavior. My observation of the perf drop was in cycles per second.