Author Topic: Speed of sim  (Read 4591 times)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Speed of sim
« on: January 02, 2008, 06:06:34 PM »
Is it just me or reducing the dimensions of the sim makes the program run faster? I think given the same number of bots smaller-sized sims are faster. Why would that be?  Am I crazy?
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Speed of sim
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 06:12:34 PM »
While trying to answer this question on my own I shrank the sim size from about size 5-6 to the smallest possible and immediately got an overflow error. error.sim attached in zipped form.

p.S: I think it's the teleporters that suddenly encountered a huge number of bots.

Offline googlyeyesultra

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Speed of sim
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 06:56:26 PM »
That's the opposite of what I'd expect to happen. Larger sims should reduce the level of proximity, meaning all of the spiffy collision and vision shortcuts can get implemented.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Speed of sim
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 08:25:46 PM »
Quote from: googlyeyesultra
That's the opposite of what I'd expect to happen. Larger sims should reduce the level of proximity, meaning all of the spiffy collision and vision shortcuts can get implemented.
Exactly.  Proximity is everything from a perf perspective.  Larger sims where the mean distance between bots is larger should run faster in general all else being equal.
Many beers....

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Speed of sim
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 08:52:28 PM »
Quote from: shvarz
While trying to answer this question on my own I shrank the sim size from about size 5-6 to the smallest possible and immediately got an overflow error. error.sim attached in zipped form.

p.S: I think it's the teleporters that suddenly encountered a huge number of bots.
The sim isn't crashing on me, but you may very well be correct about the telporters.
Many beers....

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Speed of sim
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 01:01:47 AM »
OK, I guess I'm crazy.  
Just wanted to make sure