Author Topic: Making the e-grid for v2.X  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Making the e-grid for v2.X
« on: October 11, 2007, 02:30:13 PM »
Numsgil can you releae the e-grid before v3 so it's easyer for me to combine it with my new placement control. ( without having to learn c#)
That is only if you agree with my method of inserting the e-grid...

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 04:11:58 PM »
Eric maintains the current VB version, I really don't have anything to do with it anymore.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 01:58:14 PM »
Eric can you releae the e-grid before v3 so it's easyer for me to combine it with my new placement control. ( without having to learn c#)
That is only if you agree with my method of inserting the e-grid...

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 03:07:45 PM »
Whiel I understand the basic concept and goal, I have yet to see a cogent design proposal for the E-grid.  This is not to say it does not exist.  The post may simply pre-date my arrival on the DB scene.

If someone can articulate to me or point me to such a design (which should include a proposal for appropriate data structures, algorithms and some base treatment of the performance ramifications) I will gladly add the work to the list of things in the queue and prioritize it appropriatly.

I must admit I do not understand what exactly you mean when you say "placement control".  I found your post on this topic in the DB3 forum somewhat opaque.  In any event, the vast majority of the work involved in adding this is not about UI.  It is in the underlying datastructures and implementation, in particular the code for bots to see/interact/collide/etc with elements of the E-grid.
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 06:05:11 PM »
The egrid was a dumping ground for a lot of different ideas, so people might mean different things by it.

The egrid partly encompassed variable physics areas, so a bot could wander into a new area of the sim and be under totally new physical laws (somewhat taken care of using internet sharing across instances on a single computer).

It was partly a way for bots to have meaningful interactions with the static environment.  Ant bots could create tunnels through dirt, for instance.  In the modern program, shapes would be the closest analogue.  If you were to expand shapes, allowing bots to interact with them, change their shape, shoot out chunks of them to make nests, etc., you'd have this.

Last, it was a way to introduce biofeedback between the environment and bots.  Waste would build up in areas of high population, causing bots to spend more nrg pumping it out.  Areas after a large dogfight would have a higher-than-normal free nrg concentration that bots could feed from.  Bots could lay down custom chemical "pheremones" to communicate across long distances or lay a navigatory trail down.

A cursory examination of different methods of achieving the last were outlined by me here.  But basically, it represents a huge feature area because of it's potential impact on sim speed.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 02:00:41 PM »
Last, it was a way to introduce biofeedback between the environment and bots.

This was including the idea that robots can start-of as smoke feeders and gradualy select which ever: If they turn to vegs or veg feeders, or meat eaters.