Author Topic: Maybe an infinite energy exploit  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Maybe an infinite energy exploit
« on: September 06, 2007, 06:50:48 AM »
The Predator5 bot in the internet sim seems to be impossibly hardy.  I had veggies getting no energy, and I'd plop down 40 every thousand cycles for food.  Standard costs.  I come back and there are 10K of em.  Brought my poor old ancient backup computer to a stand still.

Restarted, and I set age costs to 10 nrg/cycle.  Just a few cycles in Predator has managed to quadruple it's initial download population.  The energy in the sim has quadrupled too.  Either it's some sort of exploit, or it's doing something very clever that I'm not getting.  There just isn't any energy in the sim to exploit.  So how the heck is it growing?

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 11:03:27 AM »
Well, I wish I could say its some incredibly novel and subtily brilliant bot design on my part, but you caught me.  It's an nrg exploit in multibot nrg sharing in the 2.43e version.  Nice find.  A multi-bot can give away more nrg than it has in the cycle before it dies.   Preditor5 has evolved the behavior of forming large multibot clusters with high mortality rates and massive turnover, powerred by this ultimate sacrifice.  It was designed with a multibot body feeding gene but this appears to have mutated into nrg giving...

Fixed in 2.43f.

It will be interesting to discuss (in the right topic) what restrictions we should put on Intenet mode.  Perhaps mutations should be turned off....
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 11:32:46 AM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 04:58:30 PM »
Goes to show how fast infinite energy exploits are found by a mutating bot.