Author Topic: Give Shots Mass  (Read 2689 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Give Shots Mass
« on: August 17, 2007, 01:11:57 PM »
We have all the logic in place already for shot/bot collision detection.  If we gave shots mass, firing a shot would have a recoil.  Being impacted by a shot would effect your velocity.  Sims could be run where all bots have voluntary movement (.up, .dn, etc.) disabled and must motivate exclusivly via shot reaction forces (or some other means such as tie flinging or reproduction).

Shot mass could be fixed or proportional to the amount of its contents.  Shots with more nrg would weigh more.

I'd also like to add a new very heavy shot type - call it 'shell' - which would be highly suited to motivation.  Firing one would either deplete shell or convert nrg to mass at the same rate as .mkshell.  Being impacted would add shell aka mass...

Comments welcome...
Many beers....

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Give Shots Mass
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 07:26:56 PM »
I like the idea of recoil and shot impact velocity having a effect on bots movement. Particuarly with respect to size of shot.

If .shotshell (if I can call it that) didn't return energy to the aggressor then I think I would be interested in that as well.
A form of attack with no reward beyong the possibility of killing/damaging its foe would be an interesting new angle to explore.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 07:28:42 PM by Jez »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Give Shots Mass
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 09:00:41 AM »
|I like the idea of shots having some mass, but I don't think I want to tie shell in with it.  Shell's already a bit overburdened with different uses, etc.

You'd also need to play with it and see how it effects dogfighting.  If the shots are too strong, I see bots having a hard time staying in focus of each other.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Give Shots Mass
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 01:50:23 PM »
I like this idea, like almost every idea you put forth.   I'm very exciting where DB is heading right now.

I'm just wondering about the performance impact, with tons of shots flooting around. It would be cool though if shots were affected by the fluid they're in, like they slow down and just drifts around. shots from corpses for instance should just floot away slowly.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.