Author Topic: List of implicit rules  (Read 3562 times)

Offline Ian-Bot

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
List of implicit rules
« on: February 08, 2007, 06:16:05 PM »
Where would I find the built in rules of the Darwin Bots simulator?

I'm a noob but you gotta start somewhere. I've been doing the tutorials but I know there are overall rules that govern every bot. Is there a list anywhere? Where would I find it?

Thanks much,
~IanBot

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
List of implicit rules
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 12:36:23 AM »
Hm, I don't think there are any.  That's the beauty of it.  BTW, welcome to DBs!

The best place to start is to go through "Bot-writing tutorials" on the wiki.

Here is a very good one: http://www.darwinbots.com/WikiManual/index...tle=PY_tutorial
This way you'll get introduced to most of the concepts in DBs.
After that just go through "New Simulations", looking at all the options available and try running some sims.

Oh, and if you have questions - just ask.  People are pretty nice around here
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
List of implicit rules
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 01:14:08 PM »
Hiya!
I guess if you want some rules you could try writing a bot for one of the leagues, they have a standard enviroment with no mutations allowed, (set by ticking the file/new/restart and league/use f1 contest conditions box). Generally there are some entry level objectives you have to meet, unless you enter the f1 league; that's the no rules, all dirty tricks and exploits allowed league.

Other than that, just like Shvarz said, you are free to do anything DB allows. I imagine the overall goal would be to create a bot that survives in its enviroment.  
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams