Author Topic: Daniel Dennett speech about ALIFE  (Read 9233 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Daniel Dennett speech about ALIFE
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 01:04:21 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
I'm sure it's a bug, but I've managed to crash XP to the point of restarting at least a dozen times in the last few months, when I program various projects.  I would be very surprised if a computer that decided to allow randomly mutating naked apps didn't need to be restarted, or even reformatted, quite often.  Computers are carefully oiled machines that do not like things bumping where they should have bopped, so to speak.

I can't disagree.  XP has may serious architectural problems (not fixed in Vista) not the least of which is that it deviated significantly (against Dave Cutler's objections and for reasons like RAM prices which are no longer relavant!) from it's NT micro kernal ancestory in that a whole bunch of stuff that should run in user mode actually runs in kernal mode (like User and GDI).  This means there are millions of lines of code running in ring 0 that can take out the OS.  Lots of surface area for OS bugs.  

Even ignoring bugs, user mode apps can still muck things up by doing such things as allocating excesive kernal mode resources (which require the allocation of non-swappable kernal mode memory) like semaphores or file handles.  While the kernal won't crash, a user mode app that does these kinds of things can cause the machine to become unusable for the human, requiring the OS be restarted.

Most problems though are with drivers or other thrid party kernal mode code like AV file filters that are either buggy or introduce API incompatabilites so that other programs have problems.  Then there are the compatability switches...  XP recognises hundreds of specific programs and actually changes the behaviour of system APIs to preserve behaviour they expected from previous versions in an effort to run as many things as possible even if they are technically incorrect....  Soemtimes these do the wrong thigns for the wrong programs....   In short, its a mess.

That said, there are many many millions of computers in the internet.  I used to be heavily invovled with anti-virus stuff.    Just like biological viruses, software viruses and worms that get released to the wild can take many years to go away completely, if ever.  There are always unpatched machines, machines not running AV, machines for the which the user jsut lives with tehe problem, back-up tapes, infected machines that get turned on again after years, etc.   The population gets knocked down when a patch or an AV signature comes out for them, but they are all still out there running somewhere, for many years.  My point is that while yes, the vast majority of self-propagating, self-mutating viral organisms would crash, or get caught, or destroy their environement, or piss off the user, etc. , this just means that selection would favor the ones that were well behaved.  Eventually, symbioisis could develop.  Of course, were someone really interzxsted in doign this, the design of the bootstrap first organism would be critical.
Many beers....

Offline asterixx

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 10:42:08 PM »
Carl Sagan called his book, Darwin's Dangerous Idea, a "...breath of fresh air". I couldn't have put it better myself. I am so glad you posted this lecture. To see him actually speak and have a face and voice behind the writer is wonderful. He is such a good thinker, and has a delightful sense of humour. Thanks for the post.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 10:54:20 PM by asterixx »
"Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you.  Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure."

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 03:23:21 AM »
What players do you use to play the file? I can't get it to play in any of my players, Windows Media Player, Winamp or Quicktime. What the heck is .asx anyway? Why don't people just make movies with normal media formats??  
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 03:34:03 AM »
You just listed the 3 worst media players I know of
In my not so humble opinion, if something can't be played with VLC or media player classic and no more than one codec pack.... then it's not worth playing anyways
I hate Quicktime like the plague... probably a lot more than the plague since I've never had the plague but Quicktime still tryes to sneak in through automatic updates.
I'm toying with the idea of making a Quicktime blocker, with the soul purpose of keeping Quicktime and iTunes far far away from me.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 04:26:33 AM »
Ha, ironic, I just downloaded VLC to watch a DVD after MediaPlayer said it didn't know how.  Must say I rather enjoy the different visual options it gives you, especially play as desktop.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 06:00:18 AM »
I hate Quicktime too, but I was forced to install it for some things I needed to see. I bet it has spyware functions inbedded into it, so I've made sure it's only set to play Quicktime formats, and I try to block any kind of access to it other then when I need it to see something that requires it.
But how you can say Winamp is the worst player I don't get. It's perfect for playing music. The best feature is the equalizer which you can set to have special settings for songs which automatically loads for that song, so you don't have to keep change it for every new song that loads.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline asterixx

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 06:35:32 PM »
The file played in my windows media player. I think that the Vista WMP is equipped with the neccessary tools to run that format...?

"Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you.  Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure."