Author Topic: New To Darwinbots  (Read 7048 times)

gaurav seth

New To Darwinbots
« on: January 20, 2007, 02:53:51 AM »
Hello everybody;
I m very new to darwinBot and I just want to know can I use it as a virtual lab for the microbial growth like I have to grow the NOCARDIFORM in darwin boat, so can you plz suggest me from where I found the DNA file for the  nocardioform and if I want to grow some pure cultrue of the microbe then how can I grow in DB?  

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
New To Darwinbots
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 03:47:59 AM »
Darwinbots doesn't simulate reality as exactly as that.  You won't find it possible to use Darwinbots as a simulator for reality.  Reality tends to be too complex for total simulation.  Darwinbots has its own reality, which is easier for a computer to run.

However, natural selection is a universal property, equally applicable to the bots' universe as our own.  What properties of life are you wanting to experiment with?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 03:49:09 AM by Numsgil »

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
New To Darwinbots
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 05:46:55 AM »
Hiya Gaurav, welcome to the forum, I hope we find some way to help!
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

gaurav seth

New To Darwinbots
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 04:02:38 AM »
Quote from: Numsgil
Darwinbots doesn't simulate reality as exactly as that.  You won't find it possible to use Darwinbots as a simulator for reality.  Reality tends to be too complex for total simulation.  Darwinbots has its own reality, which is easier for a computer to run.

However, natural selection is a universal property, equally applicable to the bots' universe as our own.  What properties of life are you wanting to experiment with?

hi..
I m experimenting on the group behaviour of the microbes whats the activity ouccur in groups etc...
becoz most of the microbiologist focus only on the group or culture not on the single microbe so we have no data bank on the properties of the single microbe wat is the role of the single microbe in their group.

becoz I m from india and I cudn't arrange any microbio lab for me thats y I want to use DB as the virtual lab is there any possibility to do that.. as I see DB has most of the properties but have lack in few like media culture and wats the products developed by the Bots......

and last thing it is a wounderfull software for the simulations. but can you plz guide me to write the DNA of a perticuler microbe.

Offline -venom-

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
New To Darwinbots
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 04:26:56 PM »
you cannot recreate the dna of any live microbes (as far as I know) the dna just dosnt work the same way.
If this were a perfect world, nobody would have let me into it.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
New To Darwinbots
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 10:54:57 AM »
Welcome to DB!

The program can be used to simulate some things that we see in real life, but it is still very far away from real life.  So, you need to first define what exact process you want to simulate and then we may be able to help you design a simulation that would work for you.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

gaurav seth

New To Darwinbots
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 11:23:47 AM »
Quote from: shvarz
Welcome to DB!

The program can be used to simulate some things that we see in real life, but it is still very far away from real life.  So, you need to first define what exact process you want to simulate and then we may be able to help you design a simulation that would work for you.

hi shvarz;
actually I want to study the group beheviour of microbes..

becoz as per of me.. I think there is some leaders in the microbes n as per DB v can select best microb so similerly there r soe microbes which leads the whole community of the microbes so I want to study on that..
so can you plz provide me such a DNA which can grow like a natural microbe...

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
New To Darwinbots
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 05:07:02 PM »
Guarav, if you expect people to treat you seriously here, you should at least attempt to write clearly.  As of now, you are asking for our time and effort to help you, but you don't seem to respect our time and effort enough to spend some of your time and effort on writing in proper English.

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
New To Darwinbots
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 11:32:33 PM »
Shvarz, no offence fella, you have an exceptional grasp of the English language but a lot of other people don't. That's one of the big concerns over here in the UK atm, student literacy standards.
When I first joined the DB forum, the first internet forum I joined, I was constantly dismayed with the spelling and grammar errors I saw by people who spoke English/American as their first language. Over time I have come to accept that as par for the course.

Some of my friends spent time working over in the Netherlands and complained that the Dutch would steadfastly refuse to understand them (speaking Dutch) if they made the slightest pronunciation errors. Personally I never had that problem but I guess I either had good work friends over there or that a friendly smile went a long way.

Seth comes from India, this is not his first language I imagine. I doubt (no offence to Seth either) he has the doctorates degree or similar required to work the telephones in the Indian call centers. Personally I am always somewhat in awe of people who manage to communicate in a second language, maybe I could still count to ten in Dutch or French, I know one or two words of Russian and a couple of other languages, if the onus was on me to communicate in somebody else's native language then my ship would be sunk.

(Reminds me of the schoolyard language 'of the T of the He' that I never understood either.)

Please cut the guy some slack, I think you could be instrumental in helping us help him. I don't think DB is what he is searching for but if it is then you may well be the man to interpret what he is asking for. I have surfed this 'nocardioform' a little already but not enough to understand what he is asking for yet.  

I could continue but I only exist because of the forgiveness of others for the mistakes I have made, I don't wish to make more.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
New To Darwinbots
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 12:10:44 AM »
Jez, English is my second language (thanks for your compliments).  Yet I know from my own experience that just a little bit of effort makes a huge difference in how your text flows.  Really, if you don't know how to spell "because" just ask Google.  Also, once you've written your post, take a breath and re-read it, correcting and making your text more understandable.

But this is all irrelevant here.  I am not nitpicking here.  Look at this text: "in the microbes n as per DB v can select".  It's not that the guy does not know how to spell "and" and "we".  No, he deliberately replaces them by "n" and "v", expecting other people to decipher his clever acronyms.

Actually, I really don't care that much about language, but it's the attitude that bothers me.  In fact, I would not even mention this at all, except that I wanted to give gaurav a friendly advice on how most people behave on this board.  We give respect to other members and we expect respect from others as well.

Offline kenstauffer

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
New To Darwinbots
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 12:45:19 AM »
Garev Seth richly deserved to get pwned. Come on! Simulate DNA and do population analysis on evolving microbes?

He reads well enough to post to this forum, he should be able to read the wiki too, and realize this isn't a full DNA simulator.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
New To Darwinbots
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 12:47:12 AM »
Hey, no one here is pwned!  Just friendly people having a nice chat!

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
New To Darwinbots
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 12:50:20 AM »
Actually, I didn't understand his post at all until shvarz pointed out that n and v are shortcuts for and and we.  So there's definately a language barrier in that post.

As to the point at hand, Gaurav, how are you defining "group", "leader" and "community".  I think we can help you figure out a good simulation if you explicity define those three terms.  But again, DB doesn't simulate reality directly.  You can't run any real organisms.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 12:51:16 AM by Numsgil »

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
New To Darwinbots
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 01:02:11 AM »
Back on topic...

So you're asking for a bot that has microbe like growth.

' Wheel
' Sharefeeder bot designed to test evolutionary response to equally sharing nrg
' Extremely stable in evolutionary sims

'main feeding/spinning/tieing gene
cond
start
.tie inc
51 .sharenrg *.multi mult store
.sharewaste inc
314 rnd .aimdx store
stop

'Reprduction gene
cond
*.nrg 4000 >
start
50 .repro store
*.nrg 4000 sub 2 div .strbody store
stop
end

The bot above, Wheel, essentially ties to any passing bots and proceeds with taking 51% of the two bots total energy. It does best in enviroments with either large amounts of Brownian motion or that have gravity, to bring prey with range since it has limited movement abilities.

You may also want to try a shot bot, a species that largely uses shots versus ties and actively hunts prey. Depending on what you have in mind they can have several different abilities, including slime, shell, poison, and venom.

Not sure how much what sort of movement and feeding abilities you want them to have, if designed right they could also have limited communication with other bots. This could be seen as a form of qurom sensing, although it's difficult to get working properly.

Anyhow need some more info on what you're looking for here.

gaurav seth

New To Darwinbots
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 10:53:26 PM »
Quote from: Endy
Back on topic...

So you're asking for a bot that has microbe like growth.

' Wheel
' Sharefeeder bot designed to test evolutionary response to equally sharing nrg
' Extremely stable in evolutionary sims

'main feeding/spinning/tieing gene
cond
start
.tie inc
51 .sharenrg *.multi mult store
.sharewaste inc
314 rnd .aimdx store
stop

'Reprduction gene
cond
*.nrg 4000 >
start
50 .repro store
*.nrg 4000 sub 2 div .strbody store
stop
end

The bot above, Wheel, essentially ties to any passing bots and proceeds with taking 51% of the two bots total energy. It does best in enviroments with either large amounts of Brownian motion or that have gravity, to bring prey with range since it has limited movement abilities.

You may also want to try a shot bot, a species that largely uses shots versus ties and actively hunts prey. Depending on what you have in mind they can have several different abilities, including slime, shell, poison, and venom.

Not sure how much what sort of movement and feeding abilities you want them to have, if designed right they could also have limited communication with other bots. This could be seen as a form of qurom sensing, although it's difficult to get working properly.

Anyhow need some more info on what you're looking for here.

I apologize if I hurt anyone in this community.. and thanks to giving me such your important time.

and thanks to Endy to provide me such a special bot but endy it is not working properly.
means I just want a bot which can populate ownself with time and show a colony(Like in Microbiology)
but when I drop these bots(provided by you) to DB and start a simulation then after few minutes all bots are dead.

I simply need a bot which can replicate ownself with time and consume engry at some rate. and after few hours of simulation it just shows a colony.

if anyone of you is familier with microbiology then you can take growth example of any becteria or any microbe except VIRUS.

and if I hurt anyone of you in the community then I am really sorry.