Author Topic: Anti Spam Controls  (Read 6102 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Anti Spam Controls
« on: December 16, 2006, 05:35:00 AM »
Due to the literally insane amount of spam this forum has been getting, all new forum registerees will need to manually be approved by me.  This is a temporary measure until I can figure out something better.  I'll be approving everyone, since the spammers register and post in the same second and they seem to give up on an account name if it can't post in the first half second after it was created.

There are two warnings during the registration process that an admin needs to approve someone's account before they can post, but they're easily overlooked.  Ideally I'd have an email confirmation, but for some reason the forum isn't sending out any automatic emails (or at least, not to me).

Hopefully new users might glance at this message before or after they register.  Ideally the spammers might just give up eventually.

There won't be any emails sent out when you finally get validated.  The forum's automailer feature is broke, much to my chagrin.  Just try back in about a day, and you should be validated.  If not, send me an email ([my user name]2002@yahoo dot com)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 11:03:29 AM by Numsgil »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Anti Spam Controls
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 10:51:48 PM »
The following email addresses will never be approved, because they are overwhelmingly used by spammers:

mail.ru
cashette.com
web.de

Sorry for any inconvienience.  This won't effect any present registrations.

Offline Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Anti Spam Controls
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 03:38:51 AM »
Do you get a lot of new users that you must approve?
cond
*.DBbugs 0 =
start
.rejoice inc
stop

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Anti Spam Controls
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 07:15:35 AM »
I usually get about 9 new accounts a day.  Of which, 6 or 7 are spammers from the accounts I mentioned.  1 might be a legit new user.

Offline Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Anti Spam Controls
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 09:49:14 AM »
K. Too bad we need this, annoying spammers
cond
*.DBbugs 0 =
start
.rejoice inc
stop