Author Topic: Windows boots very slow!  (Read 4658 times)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Windows boots very slow!
« on: October 20, 2006, 08:06:19 AM »
I have a problem with Windows when I start up. When the desktop shows it takes over 2 min before the ikons and the start menu shows up. I've been trying to search for a solution on the internet but haven't found anything yet for this exact problem. I was wondering if Eric who's been working for Microsoft might have a clue or someone else? I'm using Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Windows boots very slow!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 09:01:40 AM »
I think this has something to do with your registry getting full and/or fragmented.
It is a problem that we all have to some degree. I watched as my new PC (back in the summer) went from booting in about 10 seconds to about 2 minutes (just as you say) in a matter of a couple of weeks. I don't even have a lot of stuff on it.

I too would be very interested in any input from Eric.  
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Windows boots very slow!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 10:01:02 AM »
Well, a dramatic change like that could be a number of things.  First thing to check is a network issue.  If your computer is on or has been on a network, then there are cases where the machine will just sit there at boot for a few minutes listening for a network that isn't there until a time out interval, particularily if you are using a netware redirector.

Second, it might be a one-time thing.  For example, if you machine just download a patch for windows, then depending on the patch, some of the install happens on reboot.  Thre are other cases if you jsut installed other software or with some resident programs liek AV.  But if you reboot again and it still happens, this isn't it.

Third and most likely thing though is probably some program or driver configured to start at boot is taking it's sweet time.  Anti-virus programs are notorious for this.  It's amazing how poorly AV programs are written and their file system compenents run in kernal mode.  Some sort of spyware is also high on the list of possibilities.  Those little weather/advertisement things that pop toast from the tray have stuff that automatically configures to auto-start or it could be somethign you don't even see like a spambot.  If you don't run a spyware detection/removal tool regularily, that's certainly something to check.

Even innocent thigns like the Real Audio player have an auto-start component and if it has problems calling home to check for news/upgrades, etc. or a bug it can hang the whole machine boot depending upon how it registered.

Things to do:

Get rid of auto-start stuff you don't want.  Check the start-up folder and also the registry.  One of them might be to blame.  You may need to edit the registry or use a thrid party tool to do this completly.  I hate the fact that windows has multiple ways to configure things to auto-start, but it does.

Run an anti-spyware tool.

Try booting in safe mode and compare the time.

Try booting with your AV uninstalled (not just disabled).  The kernal mode compnents of AV programs can really tank a machine's performance....

Try booting with the SP2 firewall turned off and/or with your AV program's firewall turned off...

Suspect your drivers.  Did you add hardware recently?  Did you install some device, an ipod, a flash card reader?  Are there updates for the drivers that came with your machine from it's manufacture you should get?

I think it is unlikly that such a dramatic change is due to file or registry fragmentation or any other "normal" windows function unless perhaps you are completely out of disk space...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 10:19:11 AM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Windows boots very slow!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 12:05:44 PM »
The boot was this slow allready from beginning after I've installed Windows and hardware drivers. I've allready tried to disable stuff at startup through msconfig, both selective startup and diagnostic startup and it's still slow. I also have a problem finding the right driver for my integrated sound device. It's supposed to be High Definition Audio on my ASUS motherboard, but there is no way for me to find out the exact driver for this model. So maybe it could be the sound driver.

I use both Spybot Search and Destroy and Norton Internet Security. It's all updated and I'm sure I don't have any malicious code on my computer. I check my computer regularly. I've also run Memtest-86+ to test for hardware failures but I didn't find any errors.

I have a problem with a game called Oblivion that crashes and freezes randomly from time to time, and it often crashes when I quit the game. I'm having an ASUS X1600 series graphic card and I also get graphical artifacts showing up as colored squares here and there in the game. I read at the Oblivion Forum it could be caused by the ATI Catalyst driver or it could be a malfunctioning card. I have the latest drivers for my graphic card.

Ok, just thought I should mension it in case you might have a clue. Maybe I should do a complete new install of my system and then install the absolute latest drivers from the beginning instead of later.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Windows boots very slow!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 12:40:03 PM »
It's hard to do this without being there....

It's probably a driver.   Can you pull the graphics card and boot using the built in adapter and compare the time that way?

It could also be Norton itself...
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Windows boots very slow!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 02:10:04 PM »
I'm sure it's not Norton which causing it because I've tried to boot with everything disabled with only the most necessary stuff and it still hangs for 2 min on desktop. I've posted about my problem on the Oblivion forum along with a DXDiag file to see if somebody there knows what to do. Otherwise I could try what you suggest to remove the graphic card and see what happens. The game crashing and desktop freeze might be related to either a driver or a faulty card.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 02:11:20 PM by Testlund »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Windows boots very slow!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 06:37:13 PM »
What windows version are you using?  In my experience, Win 2000 takes the longest to load, followed by win 98 and finally XP.  XP is really quite fast (or should be anyway).

If windows is booting to your desktop (so you can see your background picture and icons) and then takes a few minutes, it means you have too many start up programs, which msconfig should help you eleminate (you should really only be booting with maybe 7 things checked)

If it takes minutes to even boot to the desktop, your registry and/or drivers may be to blame.

Either way I find it a good practice to create a new partition and install a new version of windows every year or two.  Though that might be a bit above your head (it's really easy to screw stuff up).

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Windows boots very slow!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 09:44:29 AM »
Quote from: Numsgil
What windows version are you using?  

If windows is booting to your desktop (so you can see your background picture and icons) and then takes a few minutes, it means you have too many start up programs....

Read my first post.  

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Windows boots very slow!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 10:42:38 AM »
It could still be Norton.  Disabling it does not unload the file system driver Norton uses to intercept I/O calls.  This kernal mode interceptor will still load and run at boot even if Norton is otherwise disabled.  You must uninstall it and reboot to completely rule out Norton.

Note I don't think that it actually IS Norton - the graphics card driver is #1 suspect IMHO - but it could still be...
Many beers....