Author Topic: The Telephone  (Read 3068 times)

Offline TheArchivist

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
The Telephone
« on: June 14, 2006, 10:13:56 PM »
I think I've thought of a way to secure distance communication between robots.  
Quite simple, really: One robot uses an EGG (see my post on the HYDRA) to create another robot. This robot should attach itself to a plant or something, ideally. Then, the second robot can make itself fixed to the spot. THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Why, you may ask?

Simple! Once robots know where the telephone is (No, I haven't worked that out either) they can use Memory Shots (is that the term?) to pass info to the telephone. The telephone then can relay that information to another telephone, and (ideally) to another robot.

Still, just conjecture.

-TheArchivist

P.S. Yes, I'm using real-life organisms as a model: one species stores in its eggs information about all the cells the species will need. My way of coordinating this, as listed in HYDRA, is rather messy but I think it's workable. Again, any suggestion are most welcome.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 10:15:27 PM by TheArchivist »
-The Archivist

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The Telephone
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 01:09:13 AM »
Would be pretty cool.  Sort of like the scene at the beginning of the Disney movie Mulan.

Offline TheArchivist

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
The Telephone
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 03:36:43 PM »
Thought of a few improvements to this model.

The problem with using Memory Shots is that (a) it requires fair amounts of energy to use, and ( b ) it is inherently unreliable.

The solution? Make a messenger!

When an organism wants to relay a message, it "reproduces" a very lightweight version of itself; said messenger has very little energy, and only knows how to run back to the nearest telephone and pass on the message.

Of course, as long as we're on this subject....

One can adapt this model to transfer energy.

Let's say we have a Most Valuable Robot at one end of a line of telephones. If we want to feed it, the food collectors can reproduce, sending as much energy as is practical, as a robot, to the nearest telephone. Same idea, but perhaps somewhat more feasible, as the bot has energy to burn anyway.

I know there's a wraith project out there somewhere that needs similar concepts to these; I can only hope they find a solution like this one.

-The Archivist
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 03:38:06 PM by TheArchivist »
-The Archivist