Author Topic: Genesis, 2001, and Darwin  (Read 17515 times)

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Genesis, 2001, and Darwin
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 01:43:23 AM »
I don't care whether God made the earth in 6 days or 6 billion years. Whats's really important is that His Son died for my sins. That's important in my life.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 08:50:36 AM »
It would've taken thousands of years for anyone to figure out what the heck it's talking about.

As opposed to never figuring out what it is talking about and splitting off into hundreds of factions that each claim to have the one and only ultimate truth.

:lol:  PY  :lol:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2005, 09:03:07 AM »
I don't care whether God made the earth in 6 days or 6 billion years. Whats's really important is that His Son died for my sins. That's important in my life.

I'm glad that makes you happy.

personally it does nothing at all for me. But then I never take anything on faith. I don't believe something until I can tear it apart, analyze it, develop a hypothesis, make predictions about the outcome of that hypothesis, then test those predictions to the breaking point.

Then I have a THEORY. Not necessarily the truth but the best explanation for the observed facts.

That, in a nut shell, is the scientific method.

I just fail to see any evidence that religion and any kind of belief in God or his son, are any more than primitive superstitions. Just like walking under a ladder only more organized.

People seem have a built  in desire to beleive that there is something more to all this than just random events. They like to endow inanimate objects with inteligence.
In the early cave man days they probably thought fire was alive. Later they decided that volcanoes were where the fire god lived. Earthquakes and volcanic eruptions were his wrath. They made sacrifices to appease him.
Later, science discovered the truth behind volcanoes so the God theory was left behind but instead of deciding there was no God, people just moved him to a new place and kept right on beleiving.

My outlook on th  whole subject is that the universe is a harsh, cold, unfeeling mess of random occurences which just happened to produce life on our planet. The rest is just evolution and history.

:D  PY  :D
and those who don't

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2005, 05:03:13 PM »
My oppinion on all this is that it is better to risk belief in God and possibly be able to prove the hypothesis, than to not believe and to find out I was wrong.

It's honestly kind of pointless to argue about it all anyways since we will all see(or not) when we die what the "truth" is.

Endy ;)

Offline MightyPenguin

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2005, 05:05:14 PM »
I am watching this thread closely. Keep it clean, and calm. Or else.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2005, 05:19:30 PM »
:boing:  :boing:  :boing:  :boing:  :boing:  :boing:  :boing:  :boing:  :boing:  :boing:

How's that for calm?  :P

Offline MightyPenguin

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2005, 05:23:34 PM »
Like someone pissing on the fuse of a bomb. Nice work.

I'll be blaming you if it goes tits up, though...

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2005, 01:29:02 AM »
PY said:
I don't believe something until I can tear it apart, analyze it, develop a hypothesis, make predictions about the outcome of that hypothesis, then test those predictions to the breaking point.

Then I have a THEORY. Not necessarily the truth but the best explanation for the observed facts.

That, in a nut shell, is the scientific method.

Well I agree with you on that. I'm not saying my belief in God is the absolute truth. it is for me, but I wouldn't want to impose it.
As for proving God's existence, there is none (scientific), I agree. However, if you believe God created everything, then of course proof is all around us.  ;)

Endy said:
My oppinion on all this is that it is better to risk belief in God and possibly be able to prove the hypothesis, than to not believe and to find out I was wrong.

I believe there was a mathematical calculation by some professor, showing there's a 67% chance God exists :D  :lol:

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2005, 10:07:02 PM »
I believe there was a mathematical calculation by some professor, showing there's a 67% chance God exists biggrin.gif laugh.gif

That would be a cool bit of math. Wonder what it was based on.

For me it just comes down to a complete lack of any conceivable reason to belaive in any form of creation.

I just don't see any hint of evidence that could point me in that direction.

:lol:  PY  :lol:
and those who don't

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2005, 12:26:06 PM »
I wonder, too. Heard it on the radio somewhere in the past couple of months/years.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2005, 12:42:58 PM »
I know that calculation, its decieded by 6 factors, but when I made that calculation I got 0,03% only
the factors are and whit my numbers(0,1=only 10times less chance this exist whit god, 10=10 times more chance this exist whit god):
goodness exist                      2
considered evilness exist       0,1
random evilness exist            0,1
prays have effect                   1
miracles happen                    1
religous experience happens   2
persinal I think evilness and god cant exist toghater, but I still set it to 0,1 and not 0
btw, im not religus, but wasen jesus gods son and god him self?
and why does the world need a god for you guys?
notice "FOR YOU"
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 04:00:42 PM by zelos »
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2005, 11:09:34 AM »
Why- did someone start this topic -why

We need to start a "off-off-topic-board"

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2005, 11:46:19 AM »
This is off-topic board.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2005, 02:30:12 PM »
thats right
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2005, 03:38:21 PM »
HHMMMMMMM???????

:blink:
and those who don't