Author Topic: Ur-Quan Masters  (Read 4445 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Ur-Quan Masters
« on: March 21, 2006, 01:04:33 AM »
I found this game called The Ur-Quan Masters, which is space opera type adventure/strategy game.  It's remarkable because it's being supported entirely by a fan community (much like our own, though I dare say larger), though it was originally a commercial release.

It's also a rather enjoyable game.  And that's comming from someone who's fairly jaded to most games.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Ur-Quan Masters
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 11:31:56 AM »
I hope you're not going to help them with it, not just yet anyway. You are busy enough as it is.  ;)
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Ur-Quan Masters
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 01:20:29 PM »
Na, I'm just playing through it to relax (it's my spring break).

I would eventually likt to make my own space game, so this is also "research".

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Ur-Quan Masters
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 03:00:54 PM »
if you want something to help you unwind, check out FlyFF

it is a free (and staying free this time) MMORPG in the same vane as ROSE.

FlyFF stands for Fly For Fun.

You can learn to fly on broomsticks or funky airborne surf board thingys while levelling up your character.

It's pretty cool. You can get a little more insight about it here where it is building into quite a lively discussion.  :D
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Ur-Quan Masters
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 03:30:53 PM »
MMOs really don't appeal to me.  The hack and slash only keeps me satisfied for maybe 20 hours of gameplay.

I enjoyed A tale in the Desert for a while, but it suffers from what I call "anti-entropy", by which I mean there aren't enough destructive forces to balance the constructive forces.

Ideally I'd like an MMO where players are dropped in a virgin wilderness and they just live a life.  Cutting down trees, hunting prey, etc.  From that an emergent civilization, perhaps currency and laws, might develop.  And all player actions (such as cutting down a tree) have long term repercusions (tree doesn't respawn somewhere else, though an existing seed might grow into a new tree).

Which I would like to eventually work on to create a simple demo for something like that, but I don't know enough to get something going satisfactorally.

Offline Ark

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Ur-Quan Masters
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 12:18:41 AM »
The original game was Star Control 2, by far the best game of a 3 part series.  If you haven't tried it I also recommend you check out the ur-quan masters, very funny, highly entertaining space odyssey.