Author Topic: Community project (now pretty much defunct)  (Read 17911 times)

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Community project (now pretty much defunct)
« on: January 26, 2006, 01:43:08 PM »
:) I've just had an idea for a great community project  :)

What do you guys think?

EDIT: here's the recruitment thread

The concept of hibernation was introduced in this thread
Black Ant can be found here
The Wraith (from Stargate Atlantis)
Concerning the recent lack of activity here
PY's antbot can be found here

Wraithbot.
A hibernating bot that sleeps periodically to let it's prey's numbers increase and comes out of hibernation when the queen and the keepers decide that it's ready for 'feeding' :evil:
It's like an extremely advanced Black Ant or PY antbot.

Here's the hirarchy:
   The Queen - head of the hive, picks the hive coordinates and decides with the keepers when it's time to hibernate and wake up. There is only one queen that reproduces to form a hive, and only once to produce another queen. If the queen is killed or missing for too long then a random keeper becomes the new queen. If two queens exist then they will fight to the death. Queen starts off as the first bot in the sim (starts with one high-energy bot)
   The Keepers - 10% of the population. Tasked with relaying orders and defending the hive and the hibernating 'others'. Wake the sleeping with an .out signal or a memory shot if all else fails. If a keeper is killed then the surviving keepers will wake the hive! Keepers can: Patrol the hive, protect the queen, go out hunting (in shifts) and manage the hibernation of the hive.
   The Others - the rest! The bulk of the population hibernates when there isn't enough food to go around to sustain the population. They are woken by keepers when food is plentiful and will then cull nearly all living things on the map until the keepers send them into hibernation again. They will leave a small percentage of prey alive to reproduce.

Wraithbot will NEVER EVER be used in leagues (so don't worry about interference from chameleon-bots and F1 quality bots etc), but is instead for the creation of a stable ecosystem of these things preying on veggies and a simple bot (Animal Minimalis?, or one we can create - something with few genes that survives well but isn't too strong) population.

Makes extensive use of .out1-5/in1-5

.out1   Hive location x coordinate (queen picks this and all bots store it to .out1 if they see it)
.out2   Hive location y coordinate (queen picks this and all bots store it to .out1 if they see it)
.out3   Time to hibernate (queen or keepers decide when to send everyone into hibernation - normal bots that see a number in .out3 will go to the 'hive' to sleep. If the don't know where it is then they will 'ask' a keeper via .in1-2)
.out4   Orders and communication
.out5   Orders and communication

The sim will start with one high-energy wraithbot, who will reproduce to form a hive. Alternatively, the queen could be a different species.
The angle function can direct bots to the hive.
For 2.37.6 ideally - for large simulations.

Well, that's the concept.

This is a [span style=\'font-size:21pt;line-height:100%\']MASSIVE[/span] project and I need your help to realize it. I can't do this by myself. Hopefully, the whole community can participate (that's what it's for right  :D ) from newbies to bot gods
Forum seems to have been quiet lately - something bot-orientated we all can cooperate on is just what it needs  :D

:help:  :help:  :help:

Comments?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 08:18:32 AM by Elite »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 01:49:09 PM »
Sounds fun.

Not too much more than my old ant bots already do though. Have you tried out my ants? They are pretty crappy at fighting but the hive concept works well.

Actually you can't try them out since the link to our old database site appears to be dead. I guess I had better post them here.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 01:51:49 PM »
I'm thinking of an extremely advanced antbot concept: ie. makes decisions on how to defend the hive etc.
And it's something to bring the community together  :)

BTW, we can't make this a sticky can we?  :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 01:52:01 PM by Elite »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 01:54:12 PM »
I've stickied it.

As to writing the actual code, I recommend setting up a page on the wiki for it.  There was a bot we were working on a while ago on the wiki.

The main danger is in people not testing their changes in the Dariwnbots client (I'm guilty as much as anyone), so you need a project leader (say, Elite) to constantly provide QA for it.

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 01:56:53 PM »
you need a project leader (say, Elite) to constantly provide QA for it

:D

Thanks for stickying it. This is going to be fun ...

How do I wiki it? (I'm not a member of the wiki)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 02:02:20 PM »
Anyone can edit it, but joining means we know whos editing what.

Ideas page has Humilis, which was another joint project.  If you're totally new to wikis, you can find information on how to edit in the community portal page I believe.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 02:05:28 PM »
I have uploaded my Ant-bot 5 to the beastiary. You might want to use some of the concepts from it in your project.

To get the best out of my ant bot run 2 or 3 copies of the same species against each other so they can each have a unique color. Only make one of each and give it a bunch of energy. It will feed until it gets 30,000 energy then it will start a new hive and make workers.

Run in size 2. If you go to size 3 or above you might crash the program because the ants use X and Y coordinates to move around. Since these are stored in memory locations that can only go up to 32000, anything above that in screen size will crash it.

(I still think I a going to have to go to "double" type variables in the next version of V2.36)

If you have set it up as descibed you should get several colonies develop. In each one, the workers will always return to their own queen to feed her. In Ant-Bot 5, the queen has the ability to defend herself by brainwashing workers from enemy colonies.
and those who don't

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 02:09:02 PM »
I've added a page in the wiki

OK, here's how it will work:

Post here to participate, and each participant can work on a certain section of code. Post improvements and use this sticky to colaborate on the project.

So who's in?

EDIT: PY, your antbot sounds very similar  :) . We're aiming for a hyper-improved antbot which hibernates, has an unfixed queen and other wraithlike stuff, but the queen's hive routines may prove very useful
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 02:17:48 PM by Elite »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 02:23:34 PM »
Obviously needs to be modified to be a good fighter bot too. My ant bots lack agression to a large degree but are otherwise highly successful in the absense of predators.

Thanks for reminding me of this kind of sim. This kind of stuff is way more fun than combat bots.
and those who don't

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 02:27:42 PM »
I can putter about a bit with the bot but I only have so many coding neurons in my head and if I devote too many to bot programming the C++ port'll never get finished.  :P

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 02:30:43 PM »
Yeah, there's more to Darwinbots that finding bugs and winning leagues  :D

Put a bot like this in a league and it would be thrashed immediately. It's much more fun to watch an intricate little ecosystem, with the bots going into hibernation and then coming out of it to decimate the ecosystem and then to sleep again.

Three sim classifications:
 - Combat sim
 - Evo sim
 - Eco sim

Post here to participate  :)

BTW: Don't worry PY and Numsgil, this won't end up becoming more work  :rolleyes:  - I'll try to handle it and/or share the work between participants.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 07:56:11 AM by Elite »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 02:31:33 PM »
know the feeling. I am in the middle of a bit of a lull at work right now or I couldn't even post this much.
and those who don't

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 02:34:07 PM »
I have about 500 ant bots on screen right now. Size 3 works OK.

There are still 4 distinct colonies but a bunch of the workers have defected to other queens. So far none seem to have the upper hand.

Fascinating things, ant-bots.
and those who don't

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 02:37:42 PM »
Cool

What's an artificial life simulation without actually watching complex life

EDIT: Wow, watching antbots is fun!  ^_^

EDIT: They're starting to spread. There's a red queen and a blue queen and they set up really near each other. They still live quite peacefully though so long as they don't trespass or steal food. I wonder what an antbot would evolve into?

EDIT: A renegade blue ant has set up it's own colony! There are now three!

Post to participate in the project  :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 03:10:12 PM by Elite »

Offline Ulciscor

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 04:16:23 PM »
Although I am completely inept at bot programming, I would be more than happy to lend some moral support.  :P If there is anything I can do, I'm up for it. Good luck with this very cool sounding idea!
:D Ulciscor :D

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.