Author Topic: Death Rate  (Read 6754 times)

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Death Rate
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 10:32:53 AM »
Quote from: Testlund
A cost that increase waste would probably cause all bots to go crazy doing all things not written in the dna because of altzeimers, a complete chaos on the screen. Ageing should only make it harder to survive I think.
What I mean is an energy cost per unit of waste you have, instead of altzimers. Waste would just sap energy. It should have been worded "cost per unit waste per cycle"

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Death Rate
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 01:45:14 PM »
Catching up on my reading.....

FYI, random death can be achevied today by using an outbound teleporter to nowhere.  

Since bots can't see or detect teleporters (unless they do something very very sophisticated such as monitoring the presense of and unexplained disapparance of surrounding picket bots) evolution is powerless to adapt to such random sources of death.  As I've described elsewhere, I prefer non-random death as a means of keeping populations in check since it allows for selection to favor adaptations which increase survival and reproductive sucess.  I thus plan to one day implement a built-in uber-preditor whose effectiness is a function of user-set sim population levels.  Runnign a littel faster than the next guy would be selected for...

This would provide a more "natural" means of population control than say, auto-costs.  Auto-costs are unnatural as they violate locatlity and causation rules in the same way an asteroid strike does I.e. a short term population spike by a fast beeder on one side of the sim has an unexplained and difficult to adapt to impact on the costs imposed on other organisms on the other side of the sim.
Many beers....