Author Topic: Mutations still weird  (Read 3295 times)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Mutations still weird
« on: November 15, 2005, 05:34:57 PM »
I have no definite proof yet, just want to share experience in case someone else notices this.  I had a sim going in 2.37.5 with mutations enabled.  When 2.37.6 came out, I saved the sim and loaded it into the new version.  Mutants did not appear anymore.  So I checked the mutations panel and found that mutations were set to "Disabled".  I toggled them back into "Enabled", and it's been 100,000 cycles and I still don't see any mutants.  The "Average mutations" grpah agrees with me.  I checked about 10 bots and all of them say "No mutations".

Looks like a bug, smells like a bug, but I am not 100% sure.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Mutations still weird
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 08:48:17 AM »
This could be a bug which gets the mode of mutation wrong during the save stage of the game.

You have to also remember that once the sim is initiated, each bot has its own individual mutations tag which can be flipped to on or off. Opening the mutations panel for species will not change anything at this point unless you hit "restart"

You can right click a bot and go into its individual mutations panel and change what you like but not as a species.

What happens when you go into the mutations panel is that the program looks for the current mutation tag and displays the value accordingly.

I haven't actually tried it with an individual bot to see what happens so I will have to check that out.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline S.o.G.

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Mutations still weird
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 10:02:39 AM »
I also get this bug when loading an autosaved file and running it in 2.37.6.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Mutations still weird
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 01:13:25 PM »
This sounds very much like the bug I fixed in 2.42.4 where the mutations details for long-run evo sims were exceeding 16k bytes, causing corrupted saved sim files the symptoms of which are to muck up mutation settings when re-loaded, if they re-load at all.  The details are here.  And also here.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 01:17:20 PM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline S.o.G.

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Mutations still weird
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 12:40:04 PM »
Quote from: EricL
This sounds very much like the bug I fixed in 2.42.4 where the mutations details for long-run evo sims were exceeding 16k bytes, causing corrupted saved sim files the symptoms of which are to muck up mutation settings when re-loaded, if they re-load at all.  The details are here.  And also here.

But I also have the bug if I insert a saved organism into a running sim. The inserted organism never mutates. I have to copy & save it's dna, add that to the setup, and insert it that way. Then it will mutate.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Mutations still weird
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 02:08:59 AM »
Quote from: S.o.G.
But I also have the bug if I insert a saved organism into a running sim. The inserted organism never mutates. I have to copy & save it's dna, add that to the setup, and insert it that way. Then it will mutate.
I bet it's two different bugs.
Many beers....