Author Topic: Music  (Read 12959 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Music
« on: February 24, 2005, 08:16:26 PM »
Hey guys, it looks like a few of you have tried your hands at composing music.

I was thinking Darwinbots could use a track for the opening splash screen and options screen, and maybe a few tracks for the main game.  Obviously you'd be able to turn it off during the game if you like, etc. etc.

Post links to any music you have rights for that we could include in the game, or send them to Numsgil2002@yahoo.com with the subject line "Music for DB" and I'll link them myself.

For the opening screen I was thinking of the music that simant plays during its splash screen.  (BTW, if anyone knows a link of where to get that MDI, I'd love to have it).

For the main game we need something that's playful and mysterious at the same time.

I'm not sure how we'd inlcude the music yet.  It could make the main game download rather large.  Perhaps we could just do Midis or something along those lines.

Also, let's just talk about music!  Yeah.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 08:17:45 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Music
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 01:52:45 AM »
I've got Simant, great game; one of those you always like coming back to. I'll have to take a look for the sound files. I normally just leave some rock playing whenever I'm not doing anything too mem intensive in DB. Strangely it almost seems like the sim is in tune with the music :lol:

Endy ;)

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Music
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 09:54:46 AM »
I don't think it is one of DB's main goals, but still it would be cool. Including all music in the download would be desasterous for the download size, I agree.
Well I hereby grant you the right to use any of my music on dance-industries for DB, if you like it. I will look through my 'HenkX' and 'musique de H' music to see if there is anything 'organic'

http://www.dance-industries.com/view_artist.php?ID=2211#8201
http://www.dance-industries.com/view_artist.php?ID=2227#8435

Henk  :)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Music
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 11:19:50 AM »
What kind of music are you looking for? Any particular Genre? Any particular Style?

---

Speacking of Music: on my tripod website, Is there any way at all to use the windows XP ftp editor to upload stuff? If not, does any one know a place were I can use it?
I am just looking for a way to observe upload progress, unfortunately the tripod java upload utility does not do that , or at least its very poor quality.

---
Orgainic? Henk what do you mean "organic" ?

---
Midi = good bye quality
How about lets make using music in the program as an option, we have to specify the path for the music file and download it separately
The idea is:
By default the program is instructed to look for the default music files, but if you never download them the program will never have music.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 11:27:02 AM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Music
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 11:47:24 AM »
I think we can have a seperate music download that only needs to be downloaded once.  I don't want to limit it to a particular style or genre, so anything we like!

Midi's aren't so bad.  They're... an acquired taste.  To be honest, my hair still jumps on edge when the combat music from Savage Empire starts playing.  (EEmp oomp.  EEmp oomp.  oomp oomp.  oomp oomp.)

I think the music should inspire the grand mystery of life, the endless possibilities.  But at the same time have a tongue in cheek quality since DB isn't the most serious AL simulator around.

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Music
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 11:48:48 AM »
Bot,

" substances that come from animal or plant sources. Organic substances always contain carbon. (Inorganic materials are chemical substances of mineral origin.) "

In other words, things that are alife.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Music
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 01:39:56 PM »
Hey henk

I know you are into the techno genre of music from the tracks that you have linked to in the past.

I was just wondering if you have ever heard the soundtrack to "Armitage the third", a classic cyber punk Anime movie from the late 90s.

It contains some of the best techno style music that I have ever heard. Also one of the coolest films too.

:D  PY  :D
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Music
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 02:10:02 PM »
on my tripod website, Is there any way at all to use the windows XP ftp editor to upload stuff? If not, does any one know a place were I can use it?
I am just looking for a way to observe upload progress, unfortunately the tripod java upload utility does not do that , or at least its very poor quality.

If someone wants to listen to interesting techno just tell me how to do this^.

About music for DB I got some consepts together but did not make the actual song yet. Maybe later on tuday...

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Music
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2005, 01:37:54 PM »
Hey henk

I know you are into the techno genre of music from the tracks that you have linked to in the past.

I was just wondering if you have ever heard the soundtrack to "Armitage the third", a classic cyber punk Anime movie from the late 90s.

It contains some of the best techno style music that I have ever heard. Also one of the coolest films too.

:D  PY  :D
Nope, never heard of it. I'm not into Anime that much. I like anime, but that's about it.

To bad I can't find "Armitage the third" MP3's or something  :unsure:  :(

I have heard other Anime-style techno music though. It's pretty cool, altough a bit chaotic at times.

Henk
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 01:38:15 PM by Henk »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Music
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2005, 05:30:43 PM »
I could probably send you a couple of the better tachno tracks as MP3s

Dirty pirate that I am  :evil:

I don't currently have the stuff stored on my PC so I will have to convert some tracks over to MP3 first.

Check this site out as an example of Armitage stuff. The sound links don't work on my PC though. (no big surprise there)
there are hundreds like it.

B)  PY  B)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline k0zm0

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Music
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 08:51:36 AM »
I produce music with Reason,Orion Platinum and FruityLoops Studio...
Quite good... My music style is experimental electronic (with a little Goa, Psy)
I am building a web page now, where I'll post all mp3's...
I'm not crazy and I'm not normal.
If I were normal, I would go crazy.

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Music
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 01:32:36 AM »
I use Buzz, a free composer :)
I would buy reason, but that's a bit expensive for me...

BTW: I make mostly Trance, but I try a bit of hardstyle and progressive at times.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 01:33:27 AM by Henk »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Music
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 12:35:09 PM »
OK NUM, I SENT YOU AN EMAIL WITH A LINK TO MY MUSIC FILE I CREATED FOR THE SPLASH SCREEN OF DARWIN BOTS. Did you get my email?

Its funny how it takes my brain 2 weeks to think of somthing , but it took only 15 minutes to compose it.

Here it is again just in case, http://plasmic007.tripod.com/

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Music
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2005, 12:46:49 PM »
Not bad.  Since it's the only entry it gets to be default for now.  I'll add it to the program a bit later.

Gotta love midi music.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Music
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 12:52:57 PM »
Funny thing , is I wanted not to make it midi sounding at all , just turned out that way.

Read the email, I have not been making music for a month , thas probebly why....

My old files dont feat on the website the smallest one is 1.2mb, the one you have right now is about .6mb , thats twice less.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 12:53:26 PM by Botsareus »