Author Topic: No sexrepro in 2.37.5  (Read 2667 times)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
No sexrepro in 2.37.5
« on: November 08, 2005, 07:49:52 PM »
Replaced .repro with .sexrepro in Perseverans and they have problems reproducing.  The energy goes above 10000, gene registers as activated, but no baby come out.  Energy remains the same.

What troubles me is that sometimes it seems to work.  I see bots connected by mother-baby ties and I see mutants appear, but mostly I don't see new bots being born.  See attached sim for an example.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
No sexrepro in 2.37.5
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 11:52:28 AM »
Sexrepro has slowly been becoming more and more broken in newer versions.  I was hoping to redesign it to be more similar to horizontal gene transfer sometime really soon.

Since people are going to have to fix this either way, maybe we can brainstorm a way to make sexrepro less like actual sexual reproduction (which we've discussed better ways to handle elsewhere) and more like horizontal gene transfer, which it's already very similar to.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
No sexrepro in 2.37.5
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 12:51:43 PM »
Well, it used to work in earlier 2.3-something versions.  Seems more like a bug, really.

We can certainly discuss how sexual reproduction and horizontal gene transfer should work, but that would be a whole new feature.  We (sort of) agreed not to put new features into 2.37 version and just polish and make workable features that are already there.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
No sexrepro in 2.37.5
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 01:33:29 PM »
I'm just saying that alot of cruff has been building up in sexrepro.  It might be as much work to program a new one as to fix the existing one.  Or it might not.