Author Topic: Random Space Games  (Read 5571 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Random Space Games
« on: February 24, 2005, 06:18:41 PM »
How Far did you get with that project Num , what happend with it?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Random Space Games
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 06:32:30 PM »
I finished all the math and psuedo-generation routines.  (the hard part?)  Didn't start any of the engine stuff (I wanted a 3D system where you could walk around, like noctis).

But I got bogged down in the actual coding (I was trying to do it in C++.  Have you seen the Direct3D code for C++?  Yuck).

Started again a little after DB 2.35 was released and tried it in VB.

Check out the threads I started in gamdedev.net in the game design forum.  I have about 30% of a design document finished for it, if you'd like to give it a look.  Maybe I can upload it.

It was something of a mix between 7 cities of gold, noctis, and civ 3.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 06:33:49 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Random Space Games
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 06:46:04 PM »
well you got further then me, because I never got to the actual coding. I did check out Direct3D for visual basic though , WHY DO THEY HAVE TO MAKE IT SO Unnsisaraly difficult

The same thing is going on with vb itself right now , with the new (better?) visual studio . net

I went to http://www.gamedev.net/ , I see no forums at all, intersting website though

In noctis I cant get into the menu , old game , must be a windows Xp bug

For my game I was planning to have some  design consepts from MGS, Some robot/level/music design/feel cosepts from DESCENT. And game play consepts from Grandtheftauto and Halo
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 06:53:24 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Random Space Games
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 07:03:53 PM »
Did you look at the noctis help html file?  The game isn't intuitive, it takes a few minutes to figure out.  But once you set down on a planet and look up at the 2 suns it's incredible.

Watching an alien sunrise is incredible.

Look here for a list of all my topics in gamedev's forums.  Look for the ones talking about space.  (I started this project in June 2004).

Direct3D is supposed to be powerful, not inuitive.  It still looks like gibberish to me.  OpenGL is a little better, but makes my head hurt too.

My game would've had a deemphasis on combat, emphasizing on exploration.  There just aren't any games that are about exploration anymore.

7 cities of gold is the last game I can find that touches on the topic, and that's so old its not even funny.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 07:04:32 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Random Space Games
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 07:32:50 PM »
Yea I finaly figured noctis out, thx
Its a cute little dos game , you have to search for a wile  before you find anything intersting though

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Random Space Games
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 07:36:25 PM »
lol here is another one coincidence:

The first 3D editor I liked enough to actualy use was Maya also , I have 4.5 right now

I got as far as the hammer , but dont know how to apply textures and stuff to it yet
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 07:38:36 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Random Space Games
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 08:00:19 PM »
Me neither, textures looked hard.

There's a tutorial I was working on later for making Joan of Ark.  Don't remember the site.