Author Topic: NewMove?  (Read 4205 times)

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
NewMove?
« on: November 04, 2005, 09:19:37 PM »
Alright, I'll admit it, I don't have a clue what this does. :D

You wrote in Humilis that it will help it out, just not how exactly.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
NewMove?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 10:17:20 PM »
Older bots were limping along in because they were just blithely firing along at some number .up store.

Nowadays, that force is divided by mass to get actual acceleration.

To help older bots make the transition, all .up/.dn etc. are multiplied automatically by mass of the bot.

But I think this is somewhat cheating.  So newer bots are encouraged to use:

use NewMove

to tell DB that it doesn't want it's .up's and .dn's multiplied by mass automatically.

Did that make any sense?

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
NewMove?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 02:20:00 AM »
Yep, thanks :)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
NewMove?
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 11:42:43 AM »
bots without use NewMove will operate (or should operate) the same as they did in older versions.

Humilis is correctly using the use NewMove command.  View it as a template for how it's supposed to work.

I thought my first response post answered alot of your questions, so maybe you can point out what specifically doesn't make sense in that post so I won't be repeating myself in a way that was ineffective the first time?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 11:45:18 AM by Numsgil »

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
NewMove?
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 03:43:02 PM »
you should do like im gonna do nums, it gives a specefic trust and then do all that newton stuff.
F=MA
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
NewMove?
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 04:00:18 PM »
you should do like im gonna do nums, it gives a specefic trust and then do all that newton stuff.
F=MA
That's exactly what's going on in 2.4.  That's the physics stuff I fixed.

Griz, I was referring to my first post in this thread, not on the wiki...

syntax:
use works exactly like def.  They both go at the start of the code before the first cond statement.  They may even work anywhere in the code, I'm not sure.  Traditionally they go at the start.

If you don't understand def, then you have an issue with knowing how the DNA works in general and that's really a seperate issue.

As to what use NewMove is actually doing:

upon encountering use NewMove, the robot's NewMove register (may be named something else, I forget) is set to true.

When the program enters the part that applies thrust to a bot, it will take what's in the .up/.dx, etc. registers and multiply them by current mass unless the NewMove flag is set to true.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 04:00:54 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
NewMove?
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 10:49:56 PM »
Then you figured it out...?