Author Topic: Nextelement crash  (Read 10857 times)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Nextelement crash
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 06:17:36 PM »
as I said, try a new install.  and pls mention what version you are talking about?

2.37.5 certainly works well for me.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Nextelement crash
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 07:28:01 PM »
Hmm, I think you have a problem of expecation.

Simulations that run at 2 cycles a second I would consider somewhat annoying but workable.  Yes, it takes a long time to accumulate more clock cycles, but you probably have a large population, and so a more stable predator/prey interaction, and so perhaps you can increase mutation rates a bit (muller's ratchet is dependant on sample size).

If most of the bots are veggies, you can tweak the veggy controls so there'll be less veggies on the screen at once.

If your veggies are turning cancerous, try feeding them based on "kilobody" points.  This does not reward veggies that reproduce unchecked.  Feeding them nrg per veggy does reward these sorts of veggies.  Hence why you're seeing them.

If robots aren't losing nrg, you probably haven't set up the costs page.  It may not load older settings for nrg consumption.  It's sort of a pain, but to make it do otherwise is sort of a pain as well.

Robots existing outside the borders in 2.4 is totally permissible.  They just get forces applied to them to push them back in bounds.  The simulation 'strongly encourages' that they remain inbounds.  Simply aproach the simulation with the mentality that out of bounds is merely an area that the bots are encouraged not to go to instead of some mystical 'do not enter' area.

About the only thing happening to you that isn't supposed to happen is crashes and freezes, which seems to be just about missing from everyone else's computers.  Uninstall and reinstall, and see what you get.  If that doesn't work, congratulations! you are a truly excellent bug tester.  We should get you a plaque (or is that the stuff on teeth?)

Anyway, running evo sims in DB is an art.  It takes alot of experimenting and a sort of 6th sense that comes with practice.  Ask yourself: "if something interesting did develop, would I be able to tell?"

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Nextelement crash
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2005, 01:56:40 PM »
That didn't fix it either, PY! Did you even try to run it yourself??  :pokey:
This problem I reported, you don't get the same error? You have the same fix in this version and you DON'T get this compile error???
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Nextelement crash
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2005, 02:07:12 PM »
Have you downloaded the source code PY's posted, to be sure your sources are in sync?  It was a minor problem, I think he fixed it.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Nextelement crash
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2005, 02:17:15 PM »
Hmm... Has he uploaded that recently? I checked the ftp on the wiki. Couldn't see any source code for this version; 2.37.4 right? I'm starteing to forget what version this topic was about. What should I download exactly and where is it?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Nextelement crash
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2005, 02:21:24 PM »
There was a post about it in the announcements forum.  2 actually.  Are you not looking at announcements?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Nextelement crash
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2005, 02:22:37 PM »
It is on the FTP, but you may need to clear your temporary internet files to see that it is (The wiki is funny that way).

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Nextelement crash
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2005, 02:29:06 PM »
I think I found it. it's 2.37.5, right? I guess I got dizzy with all the versions.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Nextelement crash
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2005, 02:31:02 PM »
Hmm, I think you have a problem of expecation.
you are correct. as always. ;)

yes ...
I expected DB to actually work.
sorry ...
my bad.

good luck guyz.
Hmm, yeah, that's a real useful post  <_<

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Nextelement crash
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2005, 03:17:49 PM »
How about some posts that actually tell us what is wrong.

Griz: You say that 2.37.5 hangs on the loading screen? Run it from the source code and tell me exactly which line of code hangs so that I can fix it.

Both the source and the executable are on the FTP so it should be easy enough to do that. Frankly, I don't see what could be wrong other than a dodgy file download. I didn't change anything in that area of the program.

Let's try to keep things civil eh? I want this program to work too but I just don't understand a lot of your comments. You see things going in the exact opposite direction that Num and I have been heading. I just don't know whay that is.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Nextelement crash
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2005, 03:19:21 PM »
I think I found it. it's 2.37.5, right? I guess I got dizzy with all the versions.
Right. That would be the one.

You don't even need to go to the FTP to get them. I included download links directly into my posts in announcements.
and those who don't

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Nextelement crash
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2005, 04:13:02 PM »
you really can be quite an arrogant, condesending ass, Nums ...
Haha, you are like the 5th person this week to call me either evil or an ass.

Might have to start believing that if this keeps up.  But my D&D games say I'm neutral good XD

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Nextelement crash
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2005, 10:36:57 AM »
But my D&D games say I'm neutral good XD
I usually play Chaotic Neutral although a nice Lawful Evil character can be fun too   :evil:
and those who don't

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Nextelement crash
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2005, 10:37:32 AM »
Nextelement has been put to bed.

Moved to fixed forum