Author Topic: What is wrong with Numgils new plasment control?  (Read 6422 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
What is wrong with Numgils new plasment control?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 05:53:07 PM »
What part of my code is not readable, to the same thing that the bug fix people are doing, quote parts of my code and I will tell you what they do. Then you can comment the bugizes out of it, or rewrite the same thing in a -Numgilfied matter.

and while you are at it see
http://forum.darwinbots.com/index.php?show...dpost&p=1126054
because I am starting to get "lazy" making quotes...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 05:57:38 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 06:19:09 PM »
I'm sort of rushing at the moment, so I can't go into it thoroughly.

Basically (strictly style-wise)

undescriptive variable names
no indenting (maybe you did a little, but far too sparsely)
use of functions when a switch case would have been more effective

to name a few.

And I like the way mine handles more than the way yours handles.  I was disatisfied.  I liked the idea of the original controls, it just needed to be done better.

I was running low on time, so I didn't code any hard limits to the various boxes as to where they could and could not (such as out of bounds) and I was going to add some lines that could be drug, and have the blue boxes dissapear if the height or width became too narrow.

But it all takes time and I'm porting to C++, using an entirely new GUI so it seemed sort of a waste.

Offline Ulciscor

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2005, 07:28:08 PM »
This is ridiculous.

[Bots] if you prefer your method then why not keep developing it, improving on the observations [Num] has made. Since he is busy switching the code over, I'm sure it would be appreciated if you could improve upon the code and submit it to him to check, if he has the time.

[Num] or [PY] don't expect fanfares and threads writing their hearty congratulations every time they make a change. If you can't take criticism about your code or debate about it in a calm manner, then the issue won't be solved and people will end up hot and bothered.

If you and [Num] still disagree on the coding front, then I think it would be fair to allow your version to be given as an option for people to choose.
:D Ulciscor :D

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2005, 04:51:02 AM »
Ah well, at least these dead-end discussions are fun to read through...  :rolleyes:

BTW I second Nums on this.